Lincecum steals Cy Young award

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated reports that Tim Lincecum has been named the winner of the 2009 National League Cy Young award. It is his second straight.

He beat out the Cardinals' pair of aces, Adam Wainwright and Chris Carpenter. His 15 wins are the fewest ever for a starting pitcher to win the Cy Young. His 261 strikeouts led the National League, while his 2.48 ERA was second to Carpenter's 2.24.

http://www.rototimes.com/index.php?s...ball&type=home
I would have voted...

1: Wainwright
2: Carpenter
3: Lincecum

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
See Millz are you pretty angry with this? I know it's a different situation than Halladay's, but it's sort of the same thing.

Lincercum had a great season don't want to take anything away from him, but in my mind the award should of went to Carpenter. I know he didn't pitch big innings this season, but when he was on the mound he was outstanding.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yeah I guess wins and ERA don't mean anything.... >:(
Actually yeah, wins mean nothing. I'm not kidding, they're a useless stat.

First off, Wainright was not as good as Jurrjens. Wainright simply had more wins because he had a much better offense working for him. Secondly, Lincecum had more than a hundred more K's than Carpenter and he played 4 more games. This gives his ERA a little bit of wiggle room since chances are Carpenter's ERA would have been a bit higher too.

Winning the Cy Young is about being dominating and that's what Lincecum is. Carpenter had a lower ERA by about 0.2 points, but he had nowhere near the same amount of K's. That speaks to a pitcher's control as well.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I should mention I put steal in the title because I thought Carpenter and Wainwright were the best two pitchers this year in the NL on the whole. I dont think Lincecum is un-deserving because he is, he had a great season.

The thing that pisses me off is that two nimrods completely left Chris Carpenter off their ballot. One of those idiots being Keith Law, a known Cardinal hater. He also put Waino third and is the only guy to put Javy Vazquez on any Cy Young ballot. People like him should be held accountable for their stupidity.

Or shot.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
HAHA! Your having the same frustration has I'm having with Verlander being ahead of Halladay. Justin got a 1st place, and guess where that writer is from? Detroit, that's right. I hate how the voting is done these days, it's a complete joke, especially when there's no clear winner and it's a tight race.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
HAHA! Your having the same frustration has I'm having with Verlander being ahead of Halladay. Justin got a 1st place, and guess where that writer is from? Detroit, that's right. I hate how the voting is done these days, it's a complete joke, especially when there's no clear winner and it's a tight race.
haha that's homerism at its finest...wow.

The Freak winning isn't a shocker but keeping Carp off the ballot is so dumb. But, I'm done with that. The local ESPN radio is going to have Lincecum on in 10 minutes...can't wait to listen to it. (nevermind...joksters)

I loved Tim's interview yesterday...saying how he thought Carpenter should have won it. He's a classy guy.

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm pretty sure if Halladay won you'd vehemently defend the process rather than condemn it.

:lol: