Limp Handshake or Firm Handshake

Limp or Firm Handshake?

• Total voters
Which one do you do?

I was always taught that you give a nice, firm handshake to somebody. I did for many years, but after recently giving a TOO firmly of a handshake I'm going to be more limp from now on. I know, it sounds strange, I just have a habit of not knowing my own strength and gripping too hard. >.<;

Limp for me. What about you folks?

Last edited:

agphoenix

Everything goes.
Dad taught me to stand up straight and always give a firm handshake.
I've had the same problem as you viLKy recently too. People actually telling me...so I'm going to hold back just a tad.

It all depends on the situation for me. Normally I tend to let the hand come to me, gauging carefully and trying as best possible to judge how they will grip mine. If they're going limp, I will too. If I spot something harder headed my way, I feel it's rude not to do the same. The real awkardness comes when one us is limp and the other firm. We usually just laugh it off though.

I go for somewhere in between normally. Show them some emphusiasm but not get too excited.

Y'know, what it probably is, is the last 5 times I shook somebody's hand it was always a woman. A woman that was always tiny, not as strong and a bit older than I. That's probably why I'm resorting to limp handshake from now on. I haven't shook a man's hand in quite a while. :D

agphoenix

Everything goes.
...gauging carefully and trying as best possible to judge how they will grip mine. If they're going limp, I will too. If I spot something harder headed my way, I feel it's rude not to do the same. The real awkardness comes when one us is limp and the other firm. We usually just laugh it off though...
:nono: Would you PLEASE, just ONCE, get your mind out of the gutter please...jeez man.

Nosferatu_Alucard

Undead Intellectual
I use a firm handshake. Though we do not realize it, a handshake says a lot about a person. A limp handshake can mean the person is submissive, and vice-versa for the firm. The firm handshake shows more of a dominating personality. This stuff is all very interesting.

Rectify88

Registered Member
I always put forth the firm handshake. Even though I don't know how the other person will return I still give a nice brick handshake. What annoys me is when you got the right form and pressure they come back with a dead fish, so basically you could probably crush there hand. So horrible.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I've had to shake someones hand every day for the past week due to interviews. I always went for the firm handhshake. I also offered my hand first 90% of the time as my current manager told me it looks good if you do that. You come across confident and that you mean business etc.