Limp Handshake or Firm Handshake

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by viLky, Sep 6, 2008.

?

Limp or Firm Handshake?

1. Limp

5.9%
  2. Firm

94.1%
  1. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Which one do you do?

I was always taught that you give a nice, firm handshake to somebody. I did for many years, but after recently giving a TOO firmly of a handshake I'm going to be more limp from now on. I know, it sounds strange, I just have a habit of not knowing my own strength and gripping too hard. >.<;

Limp for me. What about you folks?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008

2. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

I always offer a firm hand in any greeting.

It shows you mean business and sincereness.

3. agphoenix

agphoenix Everything goes.

Dad taught me to stand up straight and always give a firm handshake.
    I've had the same problem as you viLKy recently too. People actually telling me...so I'm going to hold back just a tad.

4. bball4life

bball4life Alfred :: Gotham Hero

A nice, firm hand shake for me, and i half expect one in return.

5. Syndicate

Syndicate Chirp Chirp

It all depends on the situation for me. Normally I tend to let the hand come to me, gauging carefully and trying as best possible to judge how they will grip mine. If they're going limp, I will too. If I spot something harder headed my way, I feel it's rude not to do the same. The real awkardness comes when one us is limp and the other firm. We usually just laugh it off though.

I go for somewhere in between normally. Show them some emphusiasm but not get too excited.

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Y'know, what it probably is, is the last 5 times I shook somebody's hand it was always a woman. A woman that was always tiny, not as strong and a bit older than I. That's probably why I'm resorting to limp handshake from now on. I haven't shook a man's hand in quite a while. :D

7. agphoenix

agphoenix Everything goes.

:nono: Would you PLEASE, just ONCE, get your mind out of the gutter please...jeez man.

8. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

I use a firm handshake. Though we do not realize it, a handshake says a lot about a person. A limp handshake can mean the person is submissive, and vice-versa for the firm. The firm handshake shows more of a dominating personality. This stuff is all very interesting.

9. Rectify88

Rectify88 Registered Member

I always put forth the firm handshake. Even though I don't know how the other person will return I still give a nice brick handshake. What annoys me is when you got the right form and pressure they come back with a dead fish, so basically you could probably crush there hand. So horrible.

10. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I've had to shake someones hand every day for the past week due to interviews. I always went for the firm handhshake. I also offered my hand first 90% of the time as my current manager told me it looks good if you do that. You come across confident and that you mean business etc.