• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Lightning of Venus

Hi_Im_Tim

I am Heavy Weapons Guy
For the first time, scientists finally confirm that there is lightning of Venus.

There are only 4 known planets which have lightning on them, Earth, Jupiter, Saturn, and now Venus.

Scientist confirms lightning on Venus_English_Xinhua

This is pretty interesting.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Pretty cool, but it's nothing really shocking to me. I'd love to see what else is going on in our universe that we haven't even begun to think about yet.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
"Only" 4? So half the planets in our solar system have been confirmed to have lightning. Interesting discovery though.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
That's a pretty sweet picture. I wonder if it's any more powerful that that of Earth's.

neum985

I pwn noobs
Yeah i heard its more powerful when i was watching the discovery channel about it. It was very interesting. Pretty amazing that we have this technology, just pretty cool to see the new things that people design.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Wow! That is really cool! I wonder what else this can say about Venus? Also, I wonder what else they will discover with that ship thingy staying there for two more Venus days.

The pictures are amazing. :3 It's pretty cool that it's not water clouds but sulfuric acid... Hmmm... So many things to be discovered...

dDave

V.I.P.
I would have expected Mars to be one of them with lightning because it has the same weather patterns of earth and is thought to have at one point have had water and an atmosphere and support life the scientists can tell by the way that the surface of the planet is worn down.

This is pretty cool though to know about Venus.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I would have expected Mars to be one of them with lightning because it has the same weather patterns of earth and is thought to have at one point have had water and an atmosphere and support life the scientists can tell by the way that the surface of the planet is worn down.
Probably has something to do with the atmospheric pressure. Mars has a very thin atmosphere, while Venus has the densest atmosphere of any planet. Earth's is somewhere in between.

dDave

V.I.P.
Now it makes sense to me, I actually heard that the reason for Mars having such a thin atmosphere is because the planet isn't close enough to the sun to get enough heat to keep the core going so the atmosphere collapsed since the molten iron core (just like earths) stopped moving and thus that pressure that was needed to keep the atmosphere going stopped.