• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Light reflected from skyscraper damages cars

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A £200million skyscraper has had an undeniably dazzling effect on passers-by – but not, unfortunately, the one intended by its architect.

20 Fenchurch Street, better known as the Walkie Talkie due to its distinctive shape, is reflecting blinding rays of light onto the street below, damaging the panels and wing mirror of a Jaguar XJ.

Walkie Talkie melted my Jag! London's Fenchurch Street skyscraper melts businessman's car | Mail Online
I hope there is something they can do to remedy this problem. I know I would be very upset to have my car or bike damaged by the light reflecting off this building. I would also be concerned about it causing a fire. Obviously the design of this building wasn't very well thought out.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
That's kind of crazy, actually. I'm surprised the architects and engineers didn't foresee any problems with intense reflections of light. Normally they run all kinds of simulations and tests for how the building will interact with the environment.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think they could coat the building with a light absorbing material to reduce the reflection. They wouldn't have to take it away all together just enough to stop melting cars. If it can melt a car it can start a fire.