Life Support

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was wondering what you guys though about Life Support. What I mean by that is if someone is dying and the only way there living right now is by the life support machine. Now I am sure in different countries they have a different rule for this. But I was wondering if the family member should have any saying in this. Like let's say you have a wife or husband and there dying, and there in that situation. They tell you to unplug the machine. But doctors say no. Do you think you have the choice to do it.

B

Boo

I think that if there's any chance that they will survive, a doctor wants to take that chance. Someone might tell the doctors to unplug the machine in an act of emotion (or in the patients case: pain).

A doctor knows what he's doing and if there's no chance saving the patient, he may accept it. But if there's even the slightest spark of hope, a (good) doctor will most likely go on. Nobody wants to be the cause of someone's death. They rather be the cause of someone's life.

Emotions should play no part in such a decision at all, I think.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well I agree if you see someone suffering like that, your first instict is to make them stop, and the only way you think that will happen is if they pass away. Now I am not saying that person wants the love one to die or anything, it's just they know there's somewhere better for them then being in this situation.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
The NHS suck over here and if someone's on life support the thing they want to do is pull the plug, there's been a few cases where someone is on support and families think the person can pull through but doctors are pressuring them. Most of it goes to court.

B

Boo

Let's make it clear that I meant "A good doctor" in my post. Not your regular bean.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know what you mean Boo, but lets be serious for a second, mostly doctors have a lot of patients, and they see a lot of them die, so they know really if they have a real chance to survive or not, so usually they will let the family pull the plug if they really want to. Which is a hard decision, but if you think about if you love that person you will do what's best for if and if you wanna make him stop suffering it's best if you just let him go. Now it's easier said then done, but sometimes you just have to do it.

B

Boo

I'm just against it, that's all. There can't be a real discussion if I'd just agree with everything they do, could there? ::)

smuda

Registered Member
If there is no reasonable expectation of recovery, and the brain is not registering activity, I'd say 'pull it!' I was raised Catholic and I was taught that the church doesn't condone any form of mercy-killing. Passive or active. Passive would be to unplug and see what happens. Active would be assisted suicide.

Well in order to prevent situations like this I hope that through the examples of Terri Schaivo that people would be wise enough to fill out something we medical folks like to call a living will or a Do Not Rescusitate.

This is something that keeps the wishes of the person that may be laying on that table. I believe life support can be a good thing for those that absolutely need it. But it should be held in consideration what the person may want.

Don't do it for your own need or justification, but for the person who is possibly dying or has died. Besides people can survive without life support they can be in a coma. And you can't kill them since they techincally have the body functions available without assistance to stay alive.

Kos4Evr

Registered Member
I look at it like this. I am a Christian and to me death is the only way to meet my creator. I do not fear death, nor do I desire it. When it is time for me to pass on it is God's choice, not mine or anyone else's.

Since that won't apply to a lot of people I will say this: If they can be brought back from the brink of death and make enough of a recovery to be able to function on their own, then yes use life support. If you are only going to turn them into a vegetable (no offense) then do them a favor and let them die with at least some dignity.