• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Life on Earth older than thought

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Living organisms may have existed on Earth as long as 4.1bn years ago – 300m years earlier than was previously thought, new research has shown.

If confirmed, the discovery means life emerged a remarkably short time after the Earth was formed from a primordial disc of dust and gas surrounding the sun 4.6bn years ago.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...s-earlier-claim-scientists.html#ixzz3p73pmgI2

If this is true then could the material Earth was formed out of already contain life, meaning the universe must be full of it? If the zircon the graphite was in is 4.1 billion years old and they say the graphite is even older where did it come from?

Thoughts?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
4.1 billion years is a really long time so its possible that life has evolved on Earth more times than scientists know. There could be fossils buried so deep that the pressure of the planet destroyed them - or just so deep that nobody has ever found them. And there could be mass extinctions that nobody knows about.

Since there was plant life 4 billion years ago then its possible there was animal life too. Life evolves fast with the right conditions. This discovery is just so totally awesome!

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
What has got my curiosity up about this is if the zircon is 4.1 billion years old, the Earth is 4.6 billion years old and the graphite it contained is older, but they don't know how much, did life come here already in the material that the earth is made of or is the earth older than they think. If it came here in the material the earth is made of that means there is probably life through out the universe.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
What has got my curiosity up about this is if the zircon is 4.1 billion years old, the Earth is 4.6 billion years old and the graphite it contained is older, but they don't know how much, did life come here already in the material that the earth is made of or is the earth older than they think. If it came here in the material the earth is made of that means there is probably life through out the universe.
Thats a really cool question. Maybe the stuff that makes life is made in nebulae. And yeah that would mean life can happen anywhere on any planet. I totally do believe theres probaly alien people out there and I wish I could see one. That would be so epic!

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thats a really cool question. Maybe the stuff that makes life is made in nebulae. And yeah that would mean life can happen anywhere on any planet. I totally do believe theres probaly alien people out there and I wish I could see one. That would be so epic!
Personally I think they have already been here. Wish they could prove it.