Life like baby dolls...

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by AngelsPeak, Jul 17, 2008.

1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

ABC News: Lifelike Baby Dolls Become Cult Item

When I was selling my sculpts on eBay, these dolls and those who bought them always fascinated me.
    I didn't make re-born babies, but I sculpted mini ones from clay. I remember one time I recieved a message from a grandmother who said that one of my "babies" looked just like her deceased grandson. This kind of freaked me out and was actually about the time I turned to sculpting fairies instead.

This article is about reborn babies and how they are becoming a cult item. People buy them, dress them up, cuddle them and take them out for walks in strollers.
    I'm curious about this, considering these are mainly adult women buying them, some for $1000's of dollars.

2. ValentinSelezynov

ValentinSelezynov Registered Member

There is something deeply wrong with a woman who pushes a piece of plastic around in a stroller. Quite often i'd imagine it's brought on by grief, either for a dead or unborn baby, or from being unable to conceive.

I knew a woman who had 3 stillborns. She kept pictures of them on her desk at work, which was fine... you couldn't tell they were dead. But she had to point it out at every opportunity. I just find it weird.

But, they're not hurting anyone, and investing money into something like this is good for the economy if not their mental wellbeing.

3. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Do the babies bleed when you punch them? Do they feel hunger? Can the fake babies actually die?

4. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

You could probably pay a little extra for this feature.:lol:

5. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

HA!

That's actually a feature I wouldn't mind paying extra for.

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I was looking around on that site and they're selling a "Obama baby doll". :lol:

I saw a story on Inside Edition where the lady put the plastic babies in the oven for 10-20 minutes to cook their skin to the right color. Seeing a baby placed into the oven just looks weird.

Interesting story. They look real... and creepy. :eek:

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

"Popular for grieving parents."

Okay, now we're approaching creepy. Why would you buy a child doll after you just lost your own? Are you trying to convince yourself to go suicidal?

8. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I have no idea how one could even be considered a replacement for the other. It almost seems like the grieving parent would develop an unhealthy attachment to the "new baby".

9. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

How is this altogether different than me playing an fps game to get an adrenaline rush? Different drugs for different folks. We sure are made uncomfortable by the real consequences of death, though. That ladies should shove that in our face by self-medicating in private where the media will surely find them, just tells me that something must be wrong with what they happen to be doing. Clearly. They should just get thousands of cats. That is far more subtle. ;)

10. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

If they were "self-medicating" in private then the media may just have remained blissfully unaware of their penchant for the plastic dolls.
    The thing is, these ladies take the "babies" into public. They dress them for a day out and take them for a stroller ride in the park, or shopping at the mall.
    They've opened themselves up for ridicule by bringing the dolls into a public arena.