• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Life after death

languidthoughts

Registered Member
Hi, just a question to atheists, arent you worried that there is nothing after death? just a blackness?:stare:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I've believed for some time that there is no afterlife. At this point in my life I believe that any afterlife is actually the result of my mind being in an extended dream state before my neurons finally stop firing. Time is seemingly extended because it slows down while you're dreaming and it can seem like an eternity. After the brain stops firing there is, what I refer to as, absolute nothing. I see absolute nothing as a concept that humans can't comprehend because, in our minds, there always has to be something. Picturing nothing usually entails picturing a blackness, whiteness, or some sort of transparency; this is not what I believe absolute nothing to be. After our neurons stop firing we no longer have to consciousness to perception any of our senses and, therefore, all existence ends for a human being.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
The thought of just nothing after I die honestly doesn't even bother me. I mean, I'm dead... so even if it is just blackness then there will be no conscious version of me to experience said blackness.

Doc

V.I.P.
so even if it is just blackness then there will be no conscious version of me to experience said blackness.
I truly believe it's less than blackness and that really bothers me.

Doc

V.I.P.
That's exactly my point -- being dead means the end of my consciousness and being. I won't know to care anymore and right now, while I'm alive, it bugs me.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Hmm, that's a shame. When I was younger (about 9 or 10) I spent one unhappy Christmas feeling very depressed after coming to the realisation that I will one day die. I always knew I would of course, but for some reason this one Christmas it just hit me hard. It was a terrible feeling. Somehow I just got over it though and now I don't fear death at all. I mean... of course I would fear dying in a horrible way, but now I'm not worried by the idea of me dying at all. I'm just taking one day at a time and trying to make the most of it.

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
I like your two threads: 'take a life' and 'life after death'. It would be easier to take a life if there was a life after death...

I personally don't believe that there is a life after death but what I think about more and more is the journey your energy makes; as energy can never be destroyed your lucky little molecules continue their cosmic journey after you are dead. Body rots>feeds plants>feeds animals>Earth is destroyed so become space dust once again. I like to think that is part of my journey -granted not consciously but part of my story.

Saint_Anger

If im honest, i find the idea of just dieing and seeing nothing but blackness quite disturbing, but i would never let this push me into a religion. Im 22 and have never followed any religion, but theres definatly a part of me that believes there is a 'god' of sorts. When i cant sleep, i find myself thinking about all sorts of things, and ive thought about religion several times. Questions such as 'how did the universe come into existance' pop up, and dispite how much i have read into the matter, nothing sways me one way or another. I believe that life is a gift, if its from evolution, or from a god, but i also believe that we have our own paths to follow. I find it challenging to believe that we have to live our lives in a certain way, doing certain things at certain times. I believe if there was a 'god', he would want us to have our own experiences, feel our own feelings, and live our lives as best we can.

I hope nobody, from any religion, takes offence to anything above. I apologise if so.

Merricles

Registered Member
I with the majority here. After death, there is not this nothing. There also is no afterlife. Death is final. The end of 'who' you are. Your brain stops, you body decomposes (probably) and everything that made you you is destroyed. There is no blackness, there is no future or afterlife of any kind. You no longer exist, which means you no longer experience anything. Very scientific actually. I state these ideas of mine as fact simply because I accept them as fact. The truth is, it is only an opinion to someone else who does not believe the same thing. As a final note though, I am 'worried' there is nothing after death. I have accepted it, but I very much do not look forward to it.

Last edited: