• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Licenses for animals

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
In the UK and I imagine in other places around the world we see adverts a lot about animals that have been abandoned and need homes where people are asked to adopt unwanted animals.

There still a thing called the dog license here in the UK which you need to have if you own a dog but I know of no-one who has one, no-one who has ever had one and I am not exactly sure how it is enforced. The idea of the license is that it keeps track of the animal such as in the case of being lost or the owner dying, more details can be found here.

The main reason I want to bring this up is do you think that before you are even allowed to have an animal at least from a shop or when animals are bred people should be forced by law go to through this process and not just on dogs but cats also (I am not sure how it would work on a snake or a hamster for example) to make sure that animals are treated well and that the owners understand the responsibility.

I do think that if someone was told "you can have a dog/cat but you must pay for this and you must follow these guide lines, if you do not we can legally take the animal away and you will face charges" it may change their minds a bit, do you agree though? Should such forceful measures be taken?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I wish. I think I've actually posted stuff about this before on GF. Either way I'm a huge believer in animal licenses. I've always thought that you should have to get a license for any animal, from a fish to a dog. I have to own a licence to keep my lizard and that's awesome. I think you need to prove before you buy an animal that you have the funds to look after it properly and have the knowledge to properly take care of whatever animal that is.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Other than needing licenses for certain exotic pets, I have never been aware of anyone needing a license to keep domestic pets here. I don't think it's such a great idea. There are more pets looking for homes than there are homes for them, and I think making people get licenses to have pets would discourage some people to go through the trouble. I might be wrong though.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It's true Idi, having to have licenses WILL discourage more people from keeping pets, but that's what we want. You are right in saying that a lot of homeless pets need homes, and that's because the system has failed. So may people get animals as a gift and don't want them, or don't know how to care for the animal that they get, or are abusive or neglect the animal etc. All of that, or at least a lot of it could be stopped if you had to really go through a licensing process and think about your actions properly before committing to a animal.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here I think you need a license in some towns and cities to have a pet but that's more of a city ordinance. If everyone had to have one it might slow down the unwanted animal population some. Most licenses aren't hard to get and they aren't that expensive.

Most states, if not all, require you to have a license for exotic animals. With all the problems of fish and other non indigenous animals becoming a problem they shouldn't let people bring any of them here except for zoo's and places like that.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It sounds good in theory but I don't think it will curb problems with strays or neglectful pet parents sadly. Hell, sometimes I'd wish people needed permission to have kids.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
What exactly does it take to get a license like this anyway? Do you have to write tests? Do they inspect your home? What are we talking about here? If it's not THAT hard to get, and costs money, I can't help but think it's just another cunning way to get money out of people.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
What exactly does it take to get a license like this anyway? Do you have to write tests? Do they inspect your home? What are we talking about here? If it's not THAT hard to get, and costs money, I can't help but think it's just another cunning way to get money out of people.
That would be the difficult part if you ask me is convincing people that someone isn't just trying to take more money from them. A lot of shelters around here are really good with screening. They ask basic things like living conditions, income, kids, housing, stuff that would be important if you wanted a pet.