• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Libel laws very different in US vs UK

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
NPR said:
As with many other works of investigative journalism, publishing Going Clear in the U.K. could expose the authors to a much more serious risk of lawsuits than they face in the U.S.

On Libel And The Law, U.S. And U.K. Go Separate Ways
I didn't realize that US citizens were being sued in the UK in libel suits because it was much easier to win there. Not always by UK citizens but people from other countries because it was so much easier to prove libel even possibly in their own country. I can see why certain works wouldn't be published there. I'm glad Rachel's Law was passed to stop this. If they want to sue a US citizen they need to come here to do it.

The UK has changed their laws somewhat to make it more difficult to win a libel case but its still easier there.

Thoughts?