• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Level crossing death: Signalman Fined

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have just seen this on the bbc news website and honestly it shocked me:

Level crossing death: Signalman and Network Rail fined

Network Rail and one of its signalmen have been fined for failing to ensure the safety of a woman killed when a train hit a car at a level crossing.

Jane Harding, 52, died when the car she was in was struck at Moreton-on-Lugg, Herefordshire, in January 2010.

Birmingham Crown Court heard Adrian Maund, 43, from Caswell Crescent, Leominster, had raised safety barriers shortly before the crash.

He was fined £1,750, while Network Rail was given a £450,000 fine.

Maund was also ordered to complete 275 hours of unpaid work.

Both were found guilty of health and safety regulations following a two-week trial in February.

Read more...
How is that this man was only fined? Mistake or no mistake, confusion or no confusion he took the life of someone else because he was not paying attention and not doing his job! And is a human life only worth 1,750 pounds? I also note that in the story he mentions nothing of his remorse for taking the life of someone, he may not have done it on purpose but the fact is for his mistake he took a life for something that could have been avoided.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I have just seen this on the bbc news website and honestly it shocked me:

How is that this man was only fined? Mistake or no mistake, confusion or no confusion he took the life of someone else because he was not paying attention and not doing his job! And is a human life only worth 1,750 pounds? I also note that in the story he mentions nothing of his remorse for taking the life of someone, he may not have done it on purpose but the fact is for his mistake he took a life for something that could have been avoided.
While it's tragic that this happened, there are all sorts of professions where a mistake can be fatal. Also, this ruling clearly indicates that her life was worth more than 451,750 pounds.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It is sad that this happened. I advise anyone crossing rail road tracks to look for yourself and never start over a track unless you can completely cross it. Those trains can't stop quickly.

mastrexx

As a family member to the signal man I would like to say that he made a mistake. He did not kill someone intentionally. The memory of this will be with him for the rest of his life and he also no longer has a job.
If there had been a fail safe mechanism on the level crossing gate the gate could not have been opened.
The farmer who called the signal box in an irate manner not once but twice was never held accountable. This was not a calculated decision by the signal man to not follow proceedure. He became confused and made a decision that he thought was correct.
Also factors that were not considered were that the deceased was not wearing a seat belt. The driver of the car never looked to see if the line was clear. The driver of the train did not engage full brake lock when he ran past the last signal that was put to danger.
The signal man was the one who went back into the signal box and called the emergency services.