• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Let's talk Studio Ghibli

Hammonday

Registered Member
Does anyone else on this forum think Studio Ghibli are literally THE most amazing animation studio EVER?

I just can't get enough of them!

I love a lot of films, and only some are special to truly move me and make me feel stupid amounts of emotion. But it seems most Ghibli films have this effect on me, and I love them SO much.

Like most Ghibli noobs, I first discovered them around 5 years ago when I first saw Spirited away by accident. I literally sat in awe, for the whole film, just completely mesmerised by the sheer amounts of imagination and creation contained within it. The story was mind blowing, and I literally almost died because I was that excited.

And yes, I watched it about 6 times within the first week.

Then I watched film after film of theirs, and BEJOYSSSSSSSSUS, it was like true love. (maybe this is why I don't have a girlfriend.)

I mean, howls moving castle, my neighbour totoro, porco rosso, whisper of the heart, ponyo, laputa, They are ALL amazing. I even loved Tales from Earthsea which isn't considered their best.

Anyway, what I am trying to get at is are there any other Ghibli nuts on this forum? Because I would bloomin' like to meet you.

P.S. Miyazaki is God.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Hi my name is Crouton and I am also a Ghibli addict. I wouldn't say they are "the most amazing studio ever" but I would put them equal with all the other great animation studios of the world.

Princess Mononoke has always been my ultimate favourite Ghibli film. I have seen them all but in the end I always go back to that one. To me it's basically a perfect film, I love everything to do with it. Everything from the complex antagonists to the beautiful animation and one of the best film scores I have ever heard in my life.

So yeah, sign me up, another Ghibli nut right here.

Last edited:

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
You'll find plenty of SG worship here. Their films are truly inspirational.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is my favourite, even though the film came out before the founding, it's still SG in spirit.

Hammonday

Registered Member
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllll yeah!

Princess Mononoke is aaaaaaaaabsolutely amazing, I agree.
I think that was one of the things that made me love that one actually, the score was incredible.

The Studio Ghibli club is forming!

UNITE.

Hammonday

Registered Member
Mmmmmmmmhmmmmmmmm,

I like a bit o' Full Metal Alchemist, Naruto (not as much anymore), Bleach of course, Ghost in the Shell, Death note is pretty good.

I dunno, I like a bit of everything I suppose.

Even DBZ ;).

How about you?

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
Well, I don't mean to be a ballbuster but it should be on topic and be SG-related.

That being said, the last time I watched Spirited Away I got this snapshot and Paint'd it up.

Hammonday

Registered Member
Well, I don't mean to be a ballbuster but it should be on topic and be SG-related.

That being said, the last time I watched Spirited Away I got this snapshot and Paint'd it up.
I think that is actually one of my fave lines in the movie, and I shall treasure this picture forever.

Thankyou, Thankyou so much.

Another from that scene is: "Shehhs my grandawta" when he is eating.

and when Yubaba flies up to Chihiro and says: "WHAIII IN THA WURRRLD WOULD YOU THINK I WOULD GIV YEW A JOHHHHHHHHB"

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I wasn't intending to take the whole thread off-topic, I was just curious to know what other anime our Ghibli loving friend here likes.

By the way, how many Ghibli fans were completely over the moon about seeing Totoro in Toy Story 3? That was such a great cameo.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Miyazaki is wonderful.

Last year they did a Studio Ghibli special here. For a couple of weeks, they featured daily SG anime (with reruns on different timeslots in case you missed a movie from another day) on local channel. I rewatched some movies I already saw and also seen Totoro for the first time and part of Castle in the Sky.

Movies I have: Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke (this is my fave from SG), Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle.

I hope they re-do the SG festival so I can see other movies that I missed last time like Nausicaa, Kiki's Delivery Service, etc.