Let's ban dunking

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
We discussed this a little bit in chat last night and apparently I have the same thoughts as the great John Wooden on this subject.

I realize this will NEVER happen but I would outlaw dunking or touching the rim in the NBA. I realize that dunking is to the NBA as home run is to MLB but I digress.

This will force people to be a lot more talented to play in the league. Tall guys wouldnt be able to just slam it down but they have to make a layup. I know its a completely insane and stupid idea but I hate slam dunks.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I disagree, I respect John Wooden but he's old school so that's why he has these thoughts.

Just because your good at dunking doesn't mean you'll make the NBA, you actually need talent in other areas. When scouts look at High School, College, European players they look at the total picture, rebounding, passing, basketball IQ, leadership, awareness ect. They don't just look at your vertical leap.

Dunking is an art and a big part of the game which was introduced by Dr. J, it shouldn't be outlawed in the NBA.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Wow!! Banning dunking in basketball would be slapping the game in the face. A lot of players do get their points by dunking the ball, but if players can dunk it they can certainly lay it up as well. Dunking is what makes the game exciting IMO and taking it out would be like banning hockey players using the slap shot and making use their snap shots instead. There's only one thing that's more exciting then a HUGE DUNK and that's a winning shot. I just don't agree with this opinion whatsoever...even if it came from the legendary John Wooden.

Last edited:

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I dont know, I think dunking is completely overrated and takes no real skill at all. Unless you're doing a 360 slam or something ridiculous like that. This is coming from a guy who loved playing NBA Jam for my sega genesis haha.

I dont think it would be a slap in the face of anyone. I know that it'll never been removed from the game because there's a slam dunk competition and most people love them.

Just think of dunks were illegal...Shaq would have been screwed.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
No Shaq wouldn't be screwed, you'd be surprised but Shaq is very good in the low post, he can easily post you up, hit the ten footer, he also has the skyhook in his repertoire.

I know dunking is a big part of his game, but I still believe he would be considered one of the best big man to ever play the game if he wasn't allowed to dunk. He brings a lot to the table.

Last edited:

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you say so but I dont buy it...at all. I wonder what his shooting percentage would be right now if he couldn't dunk a basketball. I bet dredful.

StroShow

V.I.P.
A lot of players do use the slam dunk to get their offense...Shaquille O'neal was a bad example because like Babe mentioned he was a great post player and could score many different ways then dunking it. A player that would be pretty screwed would be Dwight Howard because he has no post moves and uses the dunks for most of his 15PPG. But players are good enough that they would ajust if they need too.

How can you say a dunk is useless...yesterday I was watching the Cavs game and JJ Hickson dunked the ball with no finesse and the crowd still went nuts. So saying a normal dunk is overrated is completely false.
------
If you say so but I dont buy it...at all. I wonder what his shooting percentage would be right now if he couldn't dunk a basketball. I bet dredful.

How many goals would snipers like Brett Hull, Ovy and Maurice Richard would have if the Slap Shot was banned. Not many.

Last edited:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think dunking should be banned. It's such a popular move and the crowds love it. I mean there's an entire dunk CONTEST. (Can't wait! :D)

Maybe one thing that could be done would be making dunking count as 1 point. The immediate problem with that is that it would essentially ban dunking. People would jump up and drop it in instead just to get the extra point.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I dont think a slapshot and a dunk is a viable comparison. Since one is utilized close to the "goal" and the other can happen anywhere.

I like Brix' idea of them counting only as 1.

StroShow

V.I.P.
I think it's a great comparasion between the two. Yes dunking can happen a lot closer to the rim compared the slap shot. But pretty much like everyone who can dunk everyone can shoot the slap shot. Some shoot it a lot harder then others do but it doesn't mean it will lead to more goals. It's where you can place the puck on most occasions that will lead to more goals. I hate Brix idea of one goal lol. Why change something that as been happening for the last 40 years without hardly anyone complaining about it.