Let's all get stupid! Spelling reform

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Babe_Ruth, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

WASHINGTON - When "say," "they" and "weigh" rhyme, but "bomb," "comb" and "tomb" don't, wuudn't it maek mor sens to spel wurdz the wae thae sound?

ADVERTISEMENT

Those in favor of simplified spelling say children would learn faster and illiteracy rates would drop. Opponents say a new system would make spelling even more confusing.

Eether wae, the consept has yet to capcher th publix imajinaeshun.

It's been 100 years since Andrew Carnegie helped create the Simplified Spelling Board to promote a retooling of written English and President Theodore Roosevelt tried to force the government to use simplified spelling in its publications. But advocates aren't giving up.

They even picket the national spelling bee finals, held every year in Washington, costumed as bumble bees and hoisting signs that say "Enuf is enuf but enough is too much" or "I'm thru with through."

Thae sae th bee selebraets th ability of a fue stoodents to master a dificult sistem that stumps meny utherz hoo cuud do just as wel if speling were simpler.

"It's a very difficult thing to get something accepted like this," says Alan Mole, president of the American Literacy Council, which favors an end to "illogical spelling." The group says English has 42 sounds spelled in a bewildering 400 ways.

Americans doen't aulwaez go for whut's eezy  witnes th faeluer of th metric sistem to cach on. But propoenents of simpler speling noet that a smatering of aulterd spelingz hav maed th leep into evrydae ues.

Doughnut also is donut; colour, honour and labour long ago lost the British "u" and the similarly derived theatre and centre have been replaced by the easier-to-sound-out theater and center.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060705/...BhBHNlYwM5NjQ-[url]

2. Izzibeth

Izzibeth Guest

my only reply to this is... really....

why can't people find something better to do with their time? grown men and women no less!

lern2spel

3. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I actually agree with this. English spelling in America was standardized by Noah Webster (which is the way it's different from spelling in British Commonwealth countries). We all have to follow what one guy decided? That's rather stupid, just because he thought it made sense doesn't mean everyone has to agree with him.

Come on! English is really hard to learn, I think making it simpler is a good idea (while we're at it, let's made pluralization make sense too).

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

So basically . . . help the stupid kids.

While I'm all for assisstance being given to those who severly need it, I don't think we all should dumb ourselves down because Susy is too much of a whiny baby to do her spelling homework. This is flat out ridiculous and moronic. Look how clever we, Yahoo!News are, we put intentional spelling mistakes to prove how easy it is to read such words! Wrong. I couldn't read half of that chicken scratch and frankly, I don't want to be able to either. It would require a lot of hammer strikes to my head to do so.

Not to mention . . . what kind of basement dwelling ass wart protests a spelling bee? Those signs should read "My dum asss sun mayd dis sine."

5. It does not mean stupid kids, it is probably for people of other languages that way they can learn English a hell of a lot easier.

6. Kazmarov

Given that most people won't learn Esperanto, English is the international auxiliary language, which means that everyone in the world will have to learn it at one point or another if they want to live/work in another country. Who wants to spend years learning stupid rules and exceptions that are unique only to English? Make it simpler and people can learn it faster, and makes everything more efficient.

7. Kazmarov

The comment about the metric system I found interesting. It seems that America likes creating and using systems that aren't intuitive. Woman is pluralized women, body is pluralized bodies, and there are 5,280 feet in a mile. I notice a connection.

8. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

This reminds me of the IPA (International Phonetic Association)... "The aim of the IPA is to promote the scientific study of phonetics and the various practical applications of that science." http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/ipa.html . I think that America IS very inefficient in many regards, including spelling and measurement. However, since there is no way for the whole country to simply switch easily to a new and better system, people who already know the old system will continue to use it and will teach their kids it, so the old system will remain in place. If there were some way of simply starting everyone over, it would be possible, but that simply wont happen.

9. Kyo_Muramasa

Kyo_Muramasa Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n

The scary thing is....I understood all of that typing that was like kiddie writing >>;

This is one of the reason's why I still don't understand why these ppl try to make english so complicated. Language Arts class gets harder and harder each year but it's just teaching you what you learned in Kindergarden-5th, but in a more confusing way that you just end up looking like this: @_@. I always thought that if a person from another country wanted to learn english in the most simpliest way possible was to befriend a person who knew English and learn from them, this goes for people also who know english but have tough time with it.

10. lavoidgaskins

lavoidgaskins Registered Member

If you are trying to find a way for people to learn th English language in a better way then I think the entire language needs to be rewritten. For example the praise Drive Way makes no since what so ever when you are parking your car. Or the word Island makes no since when the s is silent. There are things that just make no since and have no reasonable explanation to them.