• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Game Cube Let the Melee begin!

SamusAran86

Registered Member
So who here doesnt own a copy of Super Smash Beos: Melee?

Besides being one of the few games released durring the Gamecubes launch period, it is the hottest selling game on the system, to this date... still makeing sales charts (least the last time I checked) with almost 3 million copies sold.

To this day, I love popping SSBM into my cube and playing through Adventure mode... I have always wanted a sequel with more of that Adventure mode played out. I have recently gotten into the game again, while my kids were playing, and working on unlocking all the characters.

That was 3 days ago, as of right now, all I need to unlock is Pichu and Mr Game & Watch, then I will have unlocked all the characters. Its kinda scary... my kids are pretty good at this game!

fuzzykitten3769

Registered Member
The adventure mode is definally the best part of Melee it adds to the entire package and for the Super Smash Bros Name. I've probley played thru adventure mode around 50 times. Although my pick for the best character would be kirby because the the ability to switch and also recover makes it a good choice in the moderate levels.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Mr_Snipes said:
I don't own the game. Don't even own the game system.
Man Snipes, you are missin out on a killer game. I never got to play the 64 version, so I couldnt tell you if it is better than it, but I think if you really like fighters, this is a game any fighter fan should own...

Besides adventure mode there is a events mode, where you fight out certain events... a few also unlock new characters upon completion. Classic mode Im thinking refers to the orinigal smash bros... pits you in 8 fights and a few bonus rounds...

You start with 14 characters, and can unlock 10 more by completeing various tasks. Not to mention the 200+ trophies you can collect in the game.

I own it and love it. I've put over 200 hours into it and I'm still not 100% finished, I just need a few more trophies, but I don't think they are worth trying for. I've owned this game since Christmas 2001, but I still end up playing it with hours for friends because the replay value is jusr crazy. It just doesn't get old.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I never understood the fun in this game. I have played it a lot with friends and I always stop because it seems to be too much of a button masher for me.

I did like that the levels were much bigger than standard fighting games, and it introduced Nintendo Characters to fighting games, but it never did much for me.

dk_rare

Registered Member
SSBM, gameplay over the rest of the crap : D

The graphics, mind, are pretty good actually

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Andrew said:
I never understood the fun in this game. I have played it a lot with friends and I always stop because it seems to be too much of a button masher for me.

I did like that the levels were much bigger than standard fighting games, and it introduced Nintendo Characters to fighting games, but it never did much for me.
Whats not to understand about takeing your FAVORITE nintendo character, useing there signiture moves to beat the crap outta everyone else.

Its not really a button masher of you learn how to sontrol the game... its all about the SMASH!! just hitting a button was a normal attack, and couldnt kill a cometitor without them being around 300% damage! learning how to time your attacks, and dodgeing... thats the key to a SSB:M master!!

There really is a whole lot to learn about the game. Trying to master your favorite character's moves is not an easy task, learning how to effectively roll, dodge, and grab takes a lot of practice, and then there are little hidden techniques like wave dashing.
Also, ever try jumping off the right side of Hyrule Temple and try to make it to the platform at the bottom? Not easy, but certainly possible, and it's something that may save your life if you attempt it in battle. I always make the jump from the left side down to the middle, but that is a much easier jump. It has really helped turn battles in my favor.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I can't believe people still play this game. I obviously never got into it. Played it very briefly and wasn't impressed.