Let me control my mail!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by viLky, Jul 4, 2009.

1. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Real, touchable mail that is. I honestly believe it's time U.S. Mail and other postal services need to give us the option of what we want delivered to our homes.

Here's how:

Create a massive web-site where each individual home is accessible. Let the homeowner choose what mail she or he would like delivered to their homes. If they don't want advertisements they can get rid of them with a quick click of the mouse, if they DO want advertisements they can click on which advertisements they want and you can even have advertisers advertise different types of mail where homeowners can choose whether or not they want that delivered to their homes or not.

I'm just so sick of getting so much junk mail and there is nothing I can do about it. I get mail asking for money, local advertisements, food advertisements that I can't stand and landscaping.

It would just be nice to be able to control what mail you get sent to your home.

2. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

That would be awesome as I too get tons of junk mail and a return to sender or writing not at this address does no good.

Maybe writing on the envelope "this person has passed away " might stop the junk mail ???

3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I prefer sending the junk mail from other companies to the companies that send me junk mail with pre-paid envelopes. Complete with a message pretty much saying "Yeah, it's me. Hope you find these coupons useful!"

Honestly, I doubt that all junk mail will be blocked. You'll get companies figuring out ways to dodge past that system.

I mean, hey, leaflet distributors are employed by the companies, not the mail service.

4. viLky

viLky ykLiv

lol - good idea. Outta try that.

That's the thing, how is it legal for somebody to come onto my property, litter and do it to my neighborhoods WITHOUT getting a fine? While sometimes they stick their card in my door slot, they'll often just lay it on the ground and the wind blows it off and into my bushes.

Uncool litter is uncool. >.>

5. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

I love all those credit card applications. I run the application through my shredder, stuff it into the pre-paid envelopes that came with it, then send it right back to the company that sent it to me. Then just so they get the hint, I put my return address at the top of the envelope. :lol:
    I haven't had to do that but more than once or twice per company, and pretty soon I'm not getting any at all from them. :nod:

6. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I just hate all the paper waste of these useless ads.

I think I shall apply some Storm and Arcadoc methods.

7. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

The big question is: normal shredder or confetti cut cross shredder?

8. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

Oh. Cross-cut, of course. Normal shredders aren't nearly as secure, nor as efficient, as cross-cut. ;)

9. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

The problem is that it would be a very expensive system to put into place, who's going to wort through all of your mail and take out what you selected that you don't want?

It's hard enough to sort everything out for the correct address, sure junk mail is annoying but it's not so annoying that you should be willing to pay a lot of extra money to stop getting it.

10. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Here we have stickers you can put on your mailbox asking people not to leave ads. They usually follow it since the bulk of the ads aren't left by your mailman but individuals who go door to door.

[​IMG]

Another way to reduce unwanted mail is not to give your home address for random websites. Or when you subscribe somewhere, there is an option to click on "do not share info with partners".