• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Less Arctic Ice Could Mean More Arctic Mercury

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Discovery News....The demise of older, thicker sea ice in the Arctic could have repercussions far beyond the steady decline in habitat essential for ringed seals, walruses and polar bears. A new NASA-led study has found that it could set in train a chemical process that results in more toxic mercury being deposited in the northern polar region. Read More Here
This is particularly bad news for the Inuit's that eat a lot of fish from the sea. I avoid eating much ocean fish because of mercury but it seems it is worse in the Arctic region. They mention that one of the reasons mercury content in fish is becoming higher is because of China's industrial expansion and air currents carry mercury into the Arctic atmosphere. I'm wondering if ocean fish will become completely uneatable in the near future. Do you avoid or cut down eating ocean fish because of this?