• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Lengthy or Curt

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
When speaking/writing:

Are you long-winded that you need loads of words, or maybe enjoy being verbose or providing introductions or getting into details when you want to get across what you mean to convey? (kinda like this :lol:)

Or you're more direct?

I'm usually to the point but if I know I could have dense audience, then I'm usually the former because the latter is more easily misunderstood in certain situations. I do try to cut out unnecessary :yabber: if I feel the person could ZZZZzzz before I finish.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
For me, it really depends on the subject. I am normally brusque in most situations...but if you get me talking about something I am passionate about, or know a few things on the subject, I get very winded. For instance, nutrition/fitness (losing weight, mostly) or video games.

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
When I communicate with people I am curt.
------
Lol. No, in general I am curt. I find it funny when girls speak on the phone for hours without really discussing anything. I use the phone as a simple tool -"I'll meet you then." etc.

Studies have actually shown men and women use conversation differently, for women it is a sign of intimacy.

The written word is a little different for me and I have been known to wander aimlessly down tangents.

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
My sentences are generally obtuse. I have a really bad habit of saying the same thing twice in a paragraph, but rewording it the second time to try and make it make more sense.

It makes it very hard for me to instruct people how to do things, because I always confuse them with too many words, and with my wording. It's just the way I am though. I use a ton of words to say a tiny little thing.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Extremely curt. Almost to a fault. On the other hand I identify key elements sometimes faster so I get right to the point. Also though...I'm not a good story teller. I really wish I was. So to go on and on, I think I get boring and I'm sensitive to body language such as others getting distracted. A good thing is, I'm a much better listener and helper. As well, I prefer action rather than talk. Also, I like back and forth quick and witty. People that don't give others a chance or have a huge disinterest in others or a huge interest in just themselves or their topic annoy me.

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
On the other hand I identify key elements sometimes faster so I get right to the point.
I have difficulty with this -I always try to reduce everything to its lowest possible denomination, which is a problem when studying. I'll take an entire chapter reduce it to a few bullet points to learn it. This is bad when it comes to regurgitating it.

Have you ever found cutting to the chase hinders you?

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Depends what I'm writing.

On here, I have a habit of making my posts long winded because I go off on tangents, and I babble about shit, and I also try to make the entire thing as clear and understandable as possible, meaning I express the issue a few times, or make it super long when a sentence might actually be enough.

At work, my emails that I have to do are concise, yet clear. They have to be, I don't think head office would like an essay to read when all I want them to know is that we've got 15,000 litres of Diesel coming on Friday.

Perhaps on here there's a subconscious desire to flex my author-muscles and type up endless streams of shit, or maybe I'm displaying a shitty part of my attitude or personality that I don't realise, by having my 'audience' as you put it read millions of letters and words of general drivel and garbage, except for the odd one or two.

However, if you ask me I reckon my posts are really really really really really, very very very very very very, extremely extremely extremely extremely, greatly greatly greatly short and concise and limited to a small number of sentences. I don't think it's quite right to say more than I should, because others won't need to waste their time reading it all, and nor should I really be so absent-minded as to waste my own time by expressing the point in such a verbose manner.

I think doing this could actually lead to the demise of the planet. Each word being typed is another day lost, and that's not a good thing is it? Is it really? So I keep all my posts as short as possible, but unfortunately there are those that slip through that are pretty long. Unlike this one of course, I mean it's barely that long at all is it? It's so short it hardly expresses what I mean at all. And that's a good thing, because I've found in the past that you can over-clarify things, as in I'll explain something so bloody much that it'll loop and become confusing and people won't understand it, and have to ask what I'm on about. So, in all I try to keep it pretty short because misunderstanding is a killer of modern society and keeps me and others with 'The Shining' up at night, shivering like shivering beings, and that's just about as bad as anything can get.

So, to summarise. My posts are damn short, except for the odd few. It's only right you see. It's only right. --- *previews post to ensure it's over 40 characters* - *posts*

Last edited:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
So, to summarise. My posts are damn short, except for the odd few. It's only right you see. It's only right. --- *previews post to ensure it's over 40 characters* - *posts*
lol

I ignore half of your posts because they are so long. Just today I opened up one or two threads from you, and the OP was so long that I just immediately closed it.

What can I say? Long winded turns me off. :p

shelgarr

Registered Member
I have difficulty with this -I always try to reduce everything to its lowest possible denomination, which is a problem when studying. I'll take an entire chapter reduce it to a few bullet points to learn it. This is bad when it comes to regurgitating it.

Have you ever found cutting to the chase hinders you?

Yes at times. In studying material (back in college) brevity resulted in leaving out details that I was tested on!! Although sometimes those bullet points are triggers to remember easily omitted info. In business, I might get to an answer before the question is finished. At times I was right, and at times jumped to conclusions. On the flip side, I am able to siphon out extraneous information and that can save time. It keeps my mind from getting saturated, which as I get older, happens faster. I can focus on the task.

In my self-employment line of work (QC/QA of technical data reports from biological studies) I have to be very meticulous. While that sounds opposite to being curt, the way it's not is that I'm able to bypass those areas outside my expertise and concentrate just on the exact data points that my clients expect me to look at.

Impact

V.I.P.
Curt. I generally try my best to say as much as possible in a few words. Like Pam mentioned, I can go on for hours about subjects i'm passionate about.

lol

I ignore half of your posts because they are so long. Just today I opened up one or two threads from you, and the OP was so long that I just immediately closed it.

What can I say? Long winded turns me off. :p
I make sure I read most of HalfEatens posts. Most of his posts have a good point hidden in there somewhere, or they make me laugh.