• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Lego man in space

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Toronto News: Toronto teens send Lego man on an a balloon odyssey 24 kilometres high - thestar.com

Pretty damn awesome. This wasn't a school project or anything. Two 17 year old guys just put this balloon together over a four month period on Saturday mornings. Then launched it. Balloon went as high as 24 kilometres (14 miles) and took some great photos.

Starting this past September, the duo spent their Saturdays at Ho’s kitchen table in Scarborough, drawing up plans and building the balloon.

“People would walk into the house and see us building this fantastical thing with a parachute from scratch, and they would be like, ‘What are you doing?” says Ho. “We’d be like, ‘We’re sending cameras to space.’ They’d be like, ‘Oh, okayyyyy….’”

dDave

V.I.P.
Considering the extremely limited resources two 17 year old guys would have, this is very impressive indeed.

I think that really it's a great idea, doing what interests you and then showing the rest of the world just how awesome it really is.

I can't imagine building anything that could launch a balloon with a lego guy 24km high, if you would have asked me before I read this article I would have told you that it couldn't be done outside of professionals.

Scott75

Registered Member
I can't imagine building anything that could launch a balloon with a lego guy 24km high, if you would have asked me before I read this article I would have told you that it couldn't be done outside of professionals.
Yeah. To be fair, apparently some MIT students had already done it and they were just copying them, but still, that's just amazing :)

Wade8813

Registered Member
Wow - that's incredible.

I laughed when I read they didn't want to take their chances with US Homeland Security. That was exactly one of my questions before I read the article.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I would love to hang out with those guys, that's so awesome. Geez it makes the type of things I do on my weekends look so boring.