• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Lego Creations

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
I noticed another Lego creation hit the pulse section of eBay and thought I might share 'how they do that' or atleast one way to do them if anyone is interested.

Download a cross stitch creation program (I use PCStitch and yes I paid for it LOL) and limit your colors to ten or less and import your picture. It will give you the entire pattern and allow you to print it out for reference. Just think of each little X as a single lego block :)

Good luck if you try this. I barely have the patience for cross stitch alone LOL Oh yeah, this will only work for your 2-D images. Not like the Hans Solo one that Spence posted :)

P.S. Andrew - how about a How To Section/Subforum somewhere for all the How To's :)

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I like the cross-stitch and was thinking along those lines until I found this:
http://www.polycrystal.org/tutorials/legomosaic.html
This is a how to create the pattern using GIMP. I use PhotoImpact, I'm sure it will work too. Or, I can just learn to use GIMP, I'm sure its similar. I have access to a 42" printer, so I can print a mosiac full actual size and know exactly what it will look like before I build it.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
Geez, and to think I was really impressed with the Lego creations. I guess knowing there are patterns for it kinda takes the mystery away. That's why I like the old canvas and paintbrush, totally original!!:)

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
There are people like me who would love to be artistic, but were't blessed with the ability. So, we cheat. lol.
I love painting on canvas too. In fact, I hope Santa brings me the paint by numbers prints I want. Maybe if I do enough of them, I will pick up a few things.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
But aren't they sooooooooo cool.!!!!!
I would love to try this but my wife says I have way too many hobbies as it is.
Oh and Yikes!!!! Have you seen the cost of legos now a days...:-o
That Han Solo would cost as much as 6 of my 57"Longboards:-o
(BTW thats 300 per board)
No kidding I looked up the costs of the legos...:nod:
And not to mention the time................Well I got the time:D :lol:
But I think I will just watch this show from the cheap seats.

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
Nightsurfer said:
But aren't they sooooooooo cool.!!!!!
I would love to try this but my wife says I have way too many hobbies as it is.
Oh and Yikes!!!! Have you seen the cost of legos now a days...:-o
I've been trying to get a BIG collection of lego's together to give to the kids for Christmas. But you are absolutely right. They are just too darned expensive even USED! I remember my parents giving me a quilt bag full of them and I think they said that one was an original lego deal of how they used to sell them and it cost 40 bucks at the time.

There were enough legos to build ten castles if you didnt need those green platform thingies!

Bidera

Lego's are quite a bit more expensive than the copy-cats, however the quality is completely worth it. Bought some for my nephew and he absolutely loves them.

Just wish I could admit that I'd still love to play with them myself. :)