Legalizing drugs

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I know we had a couple of topics about this already, but I wanted to take this one another direction.

There thinking of legalizing some of the drugs out there and putting tax on them. You would only be allowed to have a certain amount, forgot how much it was.

My question to you is this, some people have concern that it might make drug wars even worst with gangs if they do decide to legalize it.

Do you believe that would be an issue if they go ahead with this?

Thoughts?

2. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

I would like to understand the rationale for this fear. Do you know how in their minds legalization would make things worse?

Babe_Ruth likes this.
  3. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

I don't see how it could make it worse. There are no drug wars over tobacco, which is legalized. If they legalize, say, marijuana, there wouldn't be drug wars over it, because why would you have wars over something you can go into a drug store and buy? It's illogical.

4. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I really think it would be the opposite. The drug lords would no longer have the monopoly since you could just go to CVS and buy weed. Prices would drop significantly, even on the street as supply was increased. It's simple supply and demand. It would not be as lucrative as it is now. They'd simply move on to other things... like getting a real job

5. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't see how it would make it worse. Surely people are going to prefer the convenience of being able to buy drugs at a store rather than deal with the shadiness and threats that come with buying through the gangs, so surely that would mean the numbers of the murders and brawls and whatnot relating to drug debts/purchases would fall.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Prices would rise but they would at least be regulated in terms of quality.

7. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

The only way marijuana dealers would stay in business is if there's some kind of regulation on the potency of the stuff the stores are legally able to sell. I don't know, I don't really see it being a problem as far as gangs are concerned. The real money would probably be in the illegal drugs.

Edit: Oops, misread the thread. Thought it was about marijuana. If ALL drugs were legal? Well, I guess the dealers and drug lords might be in a bit of trouble. I can only see that as a good thing.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  8. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

In terms of quality, things would improve. As they are now, there's really no way to get pure drugs unless you can get some straight from the source, as what you're getting is a certain percentage of the drug mixed with a mish mash of other things. This is so the dealers don't have to use a lot of their product, and so they can make a large profit on the % of the drug they actually sell.

As far as drug wars go, those would only exist for those that were still illegal. They're not making any money on the legal drugs (unless they can bribe their way into such a position), so the only way I can see things would get worse or stay the same is if they sell the legal drug, but with "a little something extra to give it an greater kick".

9. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Limited supply keeps prices high. Legalize a drug that's popular and a whooole lot of people will start selling it. Once you have Walmart and Target or whoever competing for your habitual recreational dollar, basic Smithian economics predicts that the cost to the consumer will then be driven down by free market competition.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

And then driven up by ridiculous ass loads of taxes pushed by advocacy groups trying to convince the country we're giving into "Satan's temptations".