Legality of Logo Parodies for T-Shirts?

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by Mirage, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Does anybody here know the legalities of spoofing logos and putting them on t-shirts to sell?

For example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can this get you in trouble?

2. browneyes106

browneyes106 Registered Member

I'm not sure. But I have wondered the same thing too.

3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I believe the circle R and circle T only count for the name, I don't know about the design. My initial guess would be that you can spoof them. However, I wouldn't be surprise if somebody got sued over it.

You going in the t-shirt business, Hyrbix? =D

4. Mirage

Well that's the thing. I see them everywhere, which makes me think it's ok. But then again you can never be too sure these days.

5. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

If T-Shirt Hell can do it, I don't see why everyone else can't.

6. Mirage

You'd think so. My guess is that it's ok as long as you completely reproduce the logo and don't use the original art. I'd like to know for sure though.

7. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I think it would be best to ask a lawyer about it. Or someone who's studied US law.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I think they're allowed. I was watching a documentary about sales in China of items like this and they get away from legal stuff as long as they change one of the letters or make it obvious that it's not the same as the real one. It's only illegal when you copy the exact logo and pass it off as the real thing (or even the real thing, but discounted).