Left handed mice?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Mirage, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Computer mice that is. I know a guy who is left handed. Well he uses his mouse with his left hand and it bugs me a lot. It's not even that I have to ever use his computer. In fact I don't even live near him anymore but just thinking about it makes me wonder how he can go through life stuck with a left handed mouse.

For instance, many offices have custom keyboard pullout trays with the mouse area built in to the right side. What would a left handed mouse user do?

This isn't even an issue of "it's easier". It should just be a standard because otherwise everybody is annoyed.

2. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

I tried that and it messed me up something fierce. I can't do much left handed.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I once had to take a standardized test left handed... Not fun. Note to self. Don't get into a car accident the night before a standardized test... You know, those tests where you have to fill in the circles..

4. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

A lot of left handed people I know just get accustomed to using the mouse on the right side. My father, and CaliSteve are two good examples of that.

5. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I am right handed actually, and thinking of how would I fare using a left handed mouse. I could cope, but would take me ages to learn.

6. Mr_Snipes

Mr_Snipes Registered Member

I doesn't bother me. I can use the mouse with either hand. Mostly I just use my right hand because that is where it is. But there have been a few times when I had to use my left to move the mouse, like if I am writing something down with my right hand and using my left to move the mouse. I just seem to adjust to it.

7. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

It doesn't bother me all that much, I am right handed so it doesn't affect me very much, but I can do a lot of things well with my left hand, I had to learn how to when I messed up my wrist for a week, ironically though my left wrist was messed up only a couple days before I messed up my right wrist. It would certainly bother me if I couldn't use a normal computer correctly though if I used my left hand on the mouse instead because then I would only be good at using my own computer and everybody elses computers would be really annoying for me.

8. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I'm confused. What do mean when you say it should be a standard? Right handed mouses as standard?

If so, they are. I've never seen a left handed mouse in my life. However, I do know of the option in Win XP that allows you to change the mouse buttons around for left handed people.

9. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I can see where it would come in handy if you only had a left hand but otherwise there really is no reason to do it it just gets you adjusted to using one computer then you are horrible with a regular computer. Playing games with a left handed mouse would be really annoying.

Maybe someday there will be computers with a mouse on each side of the keyboard it wouldn't be very profitable though so i doubt it will happen.

10. Gwiz

Gwiz Registered Member

I actually use a left handed mouse and my dominant hand is right handed. IT took me awhile to get adjust to it and it's great for gaming. I sure wish more companies are willing to make mice tailor for left handed users.