Left handed mice?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Computer mice that is. I know a guy who is left handed. Well he uses his mouse with his left hand and it bugs me a lot. It's not even that I have to ever use his computer. In fact I don't even live near him anymore but just thinking about it makes me wonder how he can go through life stuck with a left handed mouse.

For instance, many offices have custom keyboard pullout trays with the mouse area built in to the right side. What would a left handed mouse user do?

This isn't even an issue of "it's easier". It should just be a standard because otherwise everybody is annoyed.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I once had to take a standardized test left handed... Not fun. Note to self. Don't get into a car accident the night before a standardized test... You know, those tests where you have to fill in the circles..

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
A lot of left handed people I know just get accustomed to using the mouse on the right side. My father, and CaliSteve are two good examples of that.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I am right handed actually, and thinking of how would I fare using a left handed mouse. I could cope, but would take me ages to learn.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I doesn't bother me. I can use the mouse with either hand. Mostly I just use my right hand because that is where it is. But there have been a few times when I had to use my left to move the mouse, like if I am writing something down with my right hand and using my left to move the mouse. I just seem to adjust to it.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
It doesn't bother me all that much, I am right handed so it doesn't affect me very much, but I can do a lot of things well with my left hand, I had to learn how to when I messed up my wrist for a week, ironically though my left wrist was messed up only a couple days before I messed up my right wrist. It would certainly bother me if I couldn't use a normal computer correctly though if I used my left hand on the mouse instead because then I would only be good at using my own computer and everybody elses computers would be really annoying for me.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
This isn't even an issue of "it's easier". It should just be a standard because otherwise everybody is annoyed.
I'm confused. What do mean when you say it should be a standard? Right handed mouses as standard?

If so, they are. I've never seen a left handed mouse in my life. However, I do know of the option in Win XP that allows you to change the mouse buttons around for left handed people.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I can see where it would come in handy if you only had a left hand but otherwise there really is no reason to do it it just gets you adjusted to using one computer then you are horrible with a regular computer. Playing games with a left handed mouse would be really annoying.

Maybe someday there will be computers with a mouse on each side of the keyboard it wouldn't be very profitable though so i doubt it will happen.

Gwiz

Registered Member
I actually use a left handed mouse and my dominant hand is right handed. IT took me awhile to get adjust to it and it's great for gaming. I sure wish more companies are willing to make mice tailor for left handed users.