• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

LeBron James opts out

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I'm not surprised either. I read Duncan is opting out and resigning for 2 years to free up money, I don't think LeBron is doing the same thing. Not that I blame him, the guy is the best in the league, I'm not going to fault a guy for maximizing his pay.

To be honest he would be better served going somewhere else if he wants to win. Wade was exposed during these Finals as just not good enough to carry a team when James missed the last part of Game 1, and while Bosh is solid and has skills, he's overrated. His best chance at winning is going elsewhere, in my opinion.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hope James goes somewhere that I like so I can root for him again. He's the best player on the planet and I hate that I have to root against him all the time haha

dDave

V.I.P.
I'll certainly have more respect for him if he goes somewhere and actually builds something rather than setting himself up to win as he did with the Heat (let's be honest, we all knew the heat would start winning a lot the moment we heard he had signed on with Wade and Bosh.)

Maybe he will coordinate with Carmelo, that would be interesting.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's the rumor...that he and Anthony wanna go somewhere together.

James isn't dumb. Its obvious Wade and Bosh are getting older.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'll certainly have more respect for him if he goes somewhere and actually builds something rather than setting himself up to win as he did with the Heat (let's be honest, we all knew the heat would start winning a lot the moment we heard he had signed on with Wade and Bosh.)

Maybe he will coordinate with Carmelo, that would be interesting.
He's not going to go to a team that is rebuilding. That wouldn't make any sense. He's be better off staying in Miami.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
I was shocked by the news as well, and as big a fan as I am of Lebron James, the dude is a ring chaser lol. It was smart of him to do this, but I think he will stay with Miami at the end of the day. Apparently the lakers and cavaliers are gunning for him with lucrative deals, and I doubt Lebron is really in it for the money in those contracts as he's already making a ton of cash in endorsments already. The lakers are looking to rebuild and make a championship team, Miami need to restructure the team with the failure of both bosh and wade throughout the series, so it's only a matter of time really. Hoping for James to stay with Miami but doesn't seem likely at this point.

dDave

V.I.P.
I was shocked by the news as well, and as big a fan as I am of Lebron James, the dude is a ring chaser lol. It was smart of him to do this, but I think he will stay with Miami at the end of the day. Apparently the lakers and cavaliers are gunning for him with lucrative deals, and I doubt Lebron is really in it for the money in those contracts as he's already making a ton of cash in endorsments already. The lakers are looking to rebuild and make a championship team, Miami need to restructure the team with the failure of both bosh and wade throughout the series, so it's only a matter of time really. Hoping for James to stay with Miami but doesn't seem likely at this point.
If he takes a pay cut just to help build a championship team then I'd have a lot of respect for him, I believe Tim Duncan recently did that and I really respect that.

I'd love to see LeBron and Kobe on the Lakers together. I don't think they'd get along :lol:.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I wasn't shocked at all. Admittedly I'm not a fan of Wade or Bosh because they are overrated. Wade has been sold as a superstar and I do admit in his younger days he was pretty good, but not as good as people made him out to be. He can't carry a team, he's never been able to. Bosh either. I'm not a fan of James' either but only because I think he's a jackass, I admit he's the best player on the planet.

This is a real ego check for Wade. He already took a paycut to provide room to sign James and he gave up being the top dog and settle for being the #2 guy (which he had to do if he wanted a ring because after all building a team around him wasn't working since he isn't good enough to be the main guy and win a ring). Would he take another paycut to allow them to sign Melo or say Love and be the #3 guy? After he's guaranteed to make $42 million if he opts in? I don't think so, but that's just my opinion. I really think James is out. He's all about legacy and I can understand that. He wants to win as many rings as he can and his best chance is somewhere else, where he has a better supporting cast, and a reliable #2 guy that can carry the team when he has an off night or can't play like at the end of Game 1 of the Finals. Wade just isn't that guy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
StroShow NBA 54
K NBA 11
Babe_Ruth NBA 2
Babe_Ruth NFL 2
Babe_Ruth NBA 2