Leaving Neverland

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Anyone else see this? It’s well done. It really leaves no doubt what kind of predator Michael Jackson was.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I don't have HBO but I read the 10 undeniable facts article that is going around. I can't ever listen to another Jackson song again without thinking if what a sicko the guy was.
Character witness after a guy is dead should be taken with a grain of salt but some of those undeniable facts are just gross.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
He made his kids wear masks in public. I always thought that was strange among other things that was done when he was alive. Really never understood why Presley married him.

Not sure if I want to see that movie or not after reading about it.

Whatever crimes Michael may have committed, he's dead now so what more can be done?
Choosing to hate his music or diminish his positive accomplishments now does nothing to punish him for his wrongdoings. I still like a lot of his music, and for that matter Cosby's stand-up comedy recordings. Being a fan of the performance doesn't necessarily equate to being a fan of the performer. I realize many aren't able to compartmentalize like that, but I am glad I can. The music of my youth was a big part of shaping my personality and worldview and associating it with ugliness now serves no purpose. It would only retroactively taint many of my better memories.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Whatever crimes Michael may have committed, he's dead now so what more can be done?
Choosing to hate his music or diminish his positive accomplishments now does nothing to punish him for his wrongdoings. I still like a lot of his music, and for that matter Cosby's stand-up comedy recordings. Being a fan of the performance doesn't necessarily equate to being a fan of the performer. I realize many aren't able to compartmentalize like that, but I am glad I can. The music of my youth was a big part of shaping my personality and worldview and associating it with ugliness now serves no purpose. It would only retroactively taint many of my better memories.
Well, for starters, we can stop being blinded by fame. These people failed their kids. They allowed their children to spend time with and spend the night with a full grown man. Prosecutors failed them as well, by not pushing these cases harder. He should have been prosecuted, and we shouldn’t let these things happen.

There are lots of lessons to be learned here. I don’t know how these lessons escaped you.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
His behavior was strange, especially with children. But there was never any evidence that supported the molestation charges and accusations. It's all hear say from an objective point of view he was always innocent till proven guilty.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
His behavior was strange, especially with children. But there was never any evidence that supported the molestation charges and accusations. It's all hear say from an objective point of view he was always innocent till proven guilty.
Obviously you haven’t seen the series. There’s plenty of evidence of wrongdoing. Innocent until proven guilty is for the Courts of Law. By that argument, Josef Stalin was never tried for anything, therefore he’s innocent of killing millions of people. And much of the evidence is not hearsay.

Well, for starters, we can stop being blinded by fame. These people failed their kids. They allowed their children to spend time with and spend the night with a full grown man. Prosecutors failed them as well, by not pushing these cases harder. He should have been prosecuted, and we shouldn’t let these things happen.

There are lots of lessons to be learned here. I don’t know how these lessons escaped you.
Nothing escaped me. And you're right, a lot of things shouldn't have been permitted to happen and children suffered as a result. But hating MJ's music would do nothing at all to change what happened nor would it benefit the victims nor would it punish the now deceased perpretrator. What's done is done. In my view Michael left a great legacy on stage and a horrible legacy off stage. One doesn't make up for the other by any means but if one is able to accept the positive separate from the negative then at least there's something good to hold onto. Hopefully people will learn that fame doesn't equate to character. But the fact that I do not cast my past in the shadow of this scandal doesn't mean I condone anything that happened. It just means I don't want his off stage behavior to rob me of anything positive.

At this point, apart from the overarching moral of the story, I feel there's nothing to be gained from rehashing all this. I mean, for the victims and families involved the story isn't over nor will it ever really be. But for me, the story ended when Michael died.