• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Least Favorite Pets

NellyBell

Registered Member
Are there any kind of common pets that you could never personally own? I know I could never ever in a million years own a snake. I couldn't handle being in the same house as one. It's the kind of thing my nightmares are made of. Other than that though, I think I'd be open to most other pets...I just might not be huge fans of them (like rats).

Sophia

Registered Member
I'll stick to dogs and cats NellyBell. I couldn't imagine having snakes, lizards, birds, rats or anything else in my house. My daughter wanted a monkey. I told her she could have whatever she wanted as soon as she moved out of my house. :)

Impaired

Registered Member
I would have said snakes until we house-sat a ball python one summer.

Rodents, mostly. The smell is awful.

NellyBell

Registered Member
@Sophia that's pretty much what I want to do. I could do other animals, like part of me has always and will always want a pig and/or a cow (I don't know why), but I doubt I'll really move too far away from cats and dogs. Ha, I could only imagine the mess a monkey could make. That would be a nightmare.

@Impaired I never really thought about rodents smelling but I mean, now that I think about it, it's totally obvious. My mom never let us have anything outside of cats and dogs. Well, my little brother had a chameleon and actually, he smelled now that I think about it.

Sophia

Registered Member
NellyBell. I have often thought about a little potbellied pig. I hear they are very clean and will use a litter box. I've seen folks have them and they are as cute as they can be. However, I have 2 established cats that would go nuts with a pig around I'm sure. LOL!!

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
Having a pet alligator as a pet is not for me. They can turn on you in just a second. Hence, I'd be way to afraid to have an alligator as a pet.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Some pets are never pets, they are just meant to look at and show off to your friends. Hey look I have a snake.

I would never have a snake or alligator. I want pets that actually show you affection.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I like animals in general. More of a cat person myself, but like dogs too. I don't really get the appeal of having a creepy crawly as a pet or anything venomous. Hamsters are good for many places that don't allow cats or dogs, and they are pretty much socially self sufficient, though having more than one would be good if you're not able to be around that much. I'd steer clear of guinea pigs though, they are noisy and poop an absurd amount. I also don't care for budgies on account of the abrupt high pitch noises they make. An aquarium can be nice if you just want something zen. Really it just depends on your personality as to which pet would be the best fit.

Generally dogs are socially needy and will do anything to please. They want attention almost every waking moment and as their owner you become the center of their universe. On account of their desperate need for approval they are usually very trainable. Cats are typically much more independent. Don't get an outdoor cat and try to make it an indoor cat though. That's just cruel and doesn't work. The thing I like about cats though is that when they show affection it's because they choose to, not because they need to. Cats need to be fixed at an early age otherwise they spray. I've never seen a cat roll in it's own feces, eat it's own vomit, or lick it's butt then try to lick it's owners face. But on the flip side, I've never seen a cat fetch a newspaper or pair of slippers. Both are remarkably smart in their own way.

A friend of mine had a rabbit. Poor thing was so lonely that my friend put an Elmo doll in with him. Well, poor Elmo ended up being regularly violated. If your going to get a rodent of any kind, best to get more than one so they can meet each others needs (fixed of course).

Impaired

Registered Member
Some pets are never pets, they are just meant to look at and show off to your friends. Hey look I have a snake.

I would never have a snake or alligator. I want pets that actually show you affection.
I enjoy our beta fish and gold fish, despite their lack of affection. My daughter has a ball python and it certainly loves her.
Different strokes.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I enjoy our beta fish and gold fish, despite their lack of affection. My daughter has a ball python and it certainly loves her.
Different strokes.
Fish can be enjoyable to look at but I wouldn't consider them a pet.

I doubt the snake loves your daughter but more like knows who feeds it. But each to their own.