Learning to Cook. Simple Recipes?

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by Wing43, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Wing43

Wing43 Registered Member

Since I dont want to live of fast foods when i go away for college, What are some simple things I can make? So far I can fry eggs after watching Metal Gear Solid 4 and having a sudden urge to have eggs and yesterday i finally made my own tuna fish sandwich!

2. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

A simple thing I find (if you have an oven) is take fresh/defrosted chicken smother it in paprika/salt/pepper/onion powder and put it in the oven for approx. 1 hr on 180C.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Do you have an oven? I have some lazy recipes made for the oven.

4. Wing43

Wing43 Registered Member

My parents use the oven for storage XD
    hopefully there will be one. share them any way

5. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Rice & other similar grains are simple to make. It's basically 2 cups of water vs. 1 cup of grain, add seasoning. Bring to boil and simmer covering the pot between 20-30 min depending on the grain.

6. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

you could probably throw some chicken fingers in there. Just mix some bread crumbs with any flavor Mrs. Dash and line them up on a baking sheet and drizzle with a little olive oil so they don't dry out but I wouldn't know for how long to cook them since I do it on the stove in a pan which usually only takes minutes on each side.

7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Pasta is really easy. But different types of pasta. You just need to boil it. Then you can play with different types of sauce. If you like plain pasta, you just put butter on it and then have some basic fried chicken or fish to accompany it.

Some days you go for tomato sauce based dish and for some, white sauce.

If you like potatoes, get those (again it just needs boiling to cook). Serve with ham, or try adding melted butter over it and add bacon bits (or cheddar sauce).

8. juha82

juha82 Registered Member

A minced meat pasta;

Roasts a minced meat first.
    To boil pastas(don't boil too cooked).
    Flushs a pasta well.
    Adds minced meat to the Pastas.

9. AeonFlux

AeonFlux I am the edge!

Tortillas and shredded cheese can go a long way as far as fast and simple recipes go.

Cheese quesadillas are simple to make and tasty. Just coat a large frying pan with some cooking spray, throw on a tortilla, sprinkle with cheese, and top with another tortilla. Cook both sides until the tortillas are a golden color and the cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream or salsa and you're set.

Another quick favorite of mine using those ingredients is microwave tortilla pizzas. Just top a tortilla with some pizza sauce, or even spaghetti sauce works, then throw on some cheese and put it in the microwave for a minute or so until the cheese is melted.

10. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Stir fry is the best option. Throw anything you want in the wok and it'll taste nice.