Learning the Hindi Language

Discussion in 'Foreign Languages' started by Mirage, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, I'm learning the Hindi language. I bought Levels 1-3 Hindi through Rosetta Stone and so far I have to say it's been a good experience.

I am definitely a visual and audio learner so their method is working really well.

I kind of doubt anybody else here knows any Hindi but if you do please feel free to talk about how you learned it and what helped you.

Learning to write/type it is the tricky part. Unlike learning Spanish or another Latin based language I have to learn to read all over again with Hindi. I seriously feel like I am in kindergarten right now. :lol:

Not to mention, typing it is very strange. I have to hit multiple keys to make single "letters". Some of the keys are just "extra strokes" that add on to other letters to create different letters.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Whatever happened to your Spanish vs French? :lol:

Is this the first time you tried rosetta? I'm curious about it. Did you buy it or use the free ones online?

3. Mirage

It's the first time I've used it. I bought it from their website. I liked the fact that they have a money back guarantee, just in case I ended up not being happy with it.

So far I am feeling confident about it. I've put in about 8 hours so far and I am remembering a ton more than I ever did when I tried to learn Spanish in school. I like how the program is set up. It works well for audio/visual learners like myself.

As for Spanish vs. French, I hope to learn some other languages down the road. I have not forgotten about those. :lol:

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I don't know anything about Hindi, but I have used Rosetta Stone also. I liked their methods a lot, but I just wasn't motived to carry on once I started to loose interest so I gave up. It is expensive though, so I only bought level 1 and I still have it at home ready for when I have time to try and learn again.

Do you find it difficult to pronounce the words or is it harder to write?

5. Mirage

It's tricky. Some words are really hard to say but after a few tries I can usually get them. It uses a lot of trills, which is not something used in English really at all. I can make that sound no problem though so it hasn't been an issue so far.

It's not as hard to read as you would think. Once you start to recognize some "letters" it becomes easier and easier. I'm definitely learning this a lot faster than I learned English, that's for sure. :lol:

The unique thing about RS is that they don't show you any English words in the lessons. You only see the words written in the language you are learning. You also hear the words only in that language. After a while you start to pick things up and realize how the grammar works. I think realizing for yourself how things are said is a better way to learn than studying a book that describes how things are said.

6. Mirage

Just to update this, I am almost through the first level. There are a total of 3 levels. I can say and understand quite a bit now. Not enough to really be useful yet but enough to feel confident that by the time I finish level 3 I'll understand most of what I hear and be able to say quite a bit too.