Learning methods

Discussion in 'School' started by Jeanie, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

How do you learn something that's strictly rote memorization? do you have special techniques? do you use mnemonics?

I'm really struggling with learning some of the basic things I need to know for Chemistry (particularly the polyatomic ions - there seems to be no rhyme or reason), and I'm spending the majority of my study time on memorization. It's not very efficient.

2. Rectify88

Rectify88 Registered Member

Did you try flash cards. If it is strictly note memorization then using flash cards will help to get everything down. If your wanting to know why something happens, it may not be the time, in high school or some colleges knowing the right answer is what needs to be known and not how something works. I'm not saying you shouldn't bother but flash cards are a real help when it comes to memorizing things in a short amount of time.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I do first letter mnemonics - acronyms. I also use singing. And I test myself - written, instead of simply mental recall.

I remember in my bio class, I had to remember what leucocytes were (of course you know what they are haha). To remember that I used the song that had this first lines... "My name is luka, I live on the 2nd floor" and transformed it to "My name is leuco, I live in the white house". Ok, it's dorky but it worked. :lol:

4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I tried really hard to come up with a mnemonic for these, but I couldn't think of anything that would fit. I finally just had to spend hours hammering it into my skull

5. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

Summarise it, read it from the book and write down the most important parts, as you write it, you will learn and as well re-read it.

6. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

The method of memorization I use for most stuff is pretty unique...

I call it Sarcasm, I know in chemistry you need to memorize a lot of stuff such as the symbols and a lot of times the atomic numbers and masses of elements as well.

If you need to memorize the definition of anything or a lot of words then get one other person, sit down... and make fun of eachother using the words in the correct context. I have a friend I do that with and it works, I remember the definitions for a long long time.

If you need to memorize polyatomic ions then the way I did that was running the equations through on paper a lot of times with a guide, and then eventually trying it without any help.

Chemistry is bad, especially for me, I'm terrible at memorization, it actually forced me to learn how to memorize as well.

7. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I make stories in my head about whatever I'm learning. I can still remember random stuff from GCSE (about 3 years ago now). It's completely pointless material for subjects I'm not even studying for any more, but still.

The downside is that you can only use that technique for a limited amount of revision, because I'll start to get confused with the stories after a while so I only use it if I know that something is sure to come up in the exam.

Other than that, I just everything down on paper and read it over and over and test myself.