• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Learning English

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Due to the Islamic riots that have been occurring in New South Wales, Australia that were sparked by an American film that insulted Islam and their prophet, Mohammed, Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard sent out this message to all immigrants living in Australia:

'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT.. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.'

'This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom'

'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society. Learn the language!'

'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'

'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'

'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.' 'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.'

This is what she actually said, above is a different extract however, same issue.

''It is the meeting place of rights and responsibilities where the right to maintain one's customs, language and religion is balanced by an equal responsibility to learn English, find work, respect our culture and heritage, and accept women as full equals,''
With this, I raise the question.

Do you believe that all immigrants should learn the language in a country whether it's USA, Australia, France, Spain, etc? Do you believe it should be mandatory?

Fair enough with other countries, but with Australia being a very multicultural country, I mean in Sydney, there is over 200 nationalities. Despite being an immigrant, I am all up for this because it really annoys me that whether its at work, or at Uni I struggle to understand people because they cannot speak English properly and it's very hard to function with.

I think that every immigrant entering Australia should be held in a detention centre to learn English or basics of it before being allowed to live in Australia. I know that immigrants might have restrictions such as age, availability at the moment but you can't go on forever without speaking the language. With the rise of multiculturalism, it'll be considered as a thing where Australians have to learn other languages just to interact with the immigrants.

Last edited:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
What exactly is that first extract from again? Way too much God in that for my liking. I've lived here my whole life in different communities and have never known Australia to be the God-loving country that that extract makes it out to be. I call bull on that.

As for speaking English I don't think you should have to know English to come to this country, but I think that if you move here permanently to live then you should at least make an attempt to learn it. It's the most common language spoken here so it would be stupid not to learn it. It makes life easier for you and those around you.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think if you are going to immigrate to a country you should at least know the basics of the language. If you are really wanting to be part of that country you should make an effort. You don't become a citizen of a new country and keep waving the old countries flag.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Your PM is awesome. I agree with her, when one immigrates to a foreign country one must assimilate. My grandparents assimilated when they came from Mexico to the US and I see less and less of that now. I come across people from Mexico who have been here 20 years and never learned English or assimilate much, which is something my grandparents didn't do.

Submit

Registered Member
My personal opinion to this agenda is that the immigrants should try to learn the language of the country they are living in, regardless of their age and/or passion.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
My personal opinion to this agenda is that the immigrants should try to learn the language of the country they are living in, regardless of their age and/or passion.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. It can be difficult to learn a new language and as you age it much harder, but I do think more of an effort should be made by many of those who immigrate to a new country.

By the way, I don't want to get off topic here, but if you had your rep turned on I would have repped you many times already. I really like your contributions to this board.

Frenzy

Registered Member
Now THIS is the guy we need here in the US running for President! I absolutely love his tone and attitude about every single point he made.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Now THIS is the guy we need here in the US running for President! I absolutely love his tone and attitude about every single point he made.
This is a woman. Australia's PM is a female and I'm still not sure that the first quote Alex posted is actually from her.

This one:

''It is the meeting place of rights and responsibilities where the right to maintain one's customs, language and religion is balanced by an equal responsibility to learn English, find work, respect our culture and heritage, and accept women as full equals,''

That's what our PM said. The above quote in spoilers is something else. I don't know for sure but I'm almost certain that she didn't actually say that. As Aleks said the one in spoilers is a different extract.

Frenzy

Registered Member
This is a woman. Australia's PM is a female and I'm still not sure that the first quote Alex posted is actually from her.

This one:

That's what our PM said. The above quote in spoilers is something else. I don't know for sure but I'm almost certain that she didn't actually say that. As Aleks said the one in spoilers is a different extract.
Sorry did not realize the PM was female, but I'd still vote for her in the US lol. Looks like she said it to me: Australian PM Tells Muslim Immigrants 'Adapt or Leave' - Urban Legends

EDIT: After digging deeper it appears as though this particular quote was made about 10 years ago by (then) PM Howard. It has resurfaced and is being suggested it was the new PM who said it, when in fact it wasn't. But in fairness to Alex, it can be easily mistaken to assume it was the new PM and not Howard who said it.

Prime Minister Howard - Muslims Out Of Australia

Last edited:

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Sorry did not realize the PM was female, but I'd still vote for her in the US lol. Looks like she said it to me: Australian PM Tells Muslim Immigrants 'Adapt or Leave' - Urban Legends

EDIT: After digging deeper it appears as though this particular quote was made about 10 years ago by (then) PM Howard. It has resurfaced and is being suggested it was the new PM who said it, when in fact it wasn't. But in fairness to Alex, it can be easily mistaken to assume it was the new PM and not Howard who said it.

Prime Minister Howard - Muslims Out Of Australia
I searched Gillard and the context said it was her as well but yeah.