• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Le Comte de Monte Cristo

Malificus

Likes snow
Who has read this book?

It's a great story of betrayal and revenge. A must read for anyone who hasn't read it. I first became interested in it when I noticed my cousin is reading it half the time, then I saw one of the movies, and once I started Gankutsuou, I had to read it.

I

IntheNet

Malificus said:
Who has read this book?
Read book, saw movie, and read book again. The Count of Monte Christo in the Chateau D'iff... it's all a metaphor I think...perhaps author (Dumas?) was thinking of containment at that early time as it is certainly allegorical; revenge is certainly a touchstone but Count backs off from it at end... wonder why?

SuiGeneris

blue 3
It's Alexander Dumas.

Its all metaphorical, any piece of decent literature is atleast a simple metaphor of some greater message. It's called a theme. Although I think the theme of the story is a lot simpler then you were trying to make it.

I think it's basically just "hatred can corrupt a good man", "jealousy is the root of all evils," and "revenge destroys all...even the avenger." Your basic slections of themes and culture.