Layoffs

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by taiarain, Nov 21, 2006.

1. taiarain

taiarain Registered Member

Do you have a plan? We were hit once with an unexpected layoff and scrambled. A few years ago, I developed a plan in the even that we ever face it again. What about you?

2. mamab

mamab Registered Member

So what does your plan entail? Do give details. :)

The company my dh works for shuts down 2 weeks every year - Christmas and 4th of July. If you haven't been there long enough, you can apply for unemployment. If you have, you take vaction then. No choice.

For long term, I guess he'd just drawn unemployment and look for another job.

3. katharina

katharina Registered Member

So if they've been there long enough, this is a paid vacation? I don't think I'd like being told when to take my vacation. :) And wow, considering what a pain signing up for unemployment is, that sure doesn't sound like a fun option. :shake:

4. taiarain

The plan is to start signing up with temp agencies when the warnings come down (most layoffs aren't a surprise) so I can call and say, "I'm ready to start," the day after he's laid off. I'll have no issue temping full-time and drawing a reasonable salary doing so. He'll sign up for unemployment immediately. If the two don't cut it, I'll pick up some more freelance work or a night job while he's searching for a replacement job.

5. mamab

mamab Registered Member

It sounds like you've got it figured out. I would have gotten something in the past, but I've been having health problems, it wasn't an option.

6. Penguin

Penguin Registered Member

Since we're self-employed, we don't have layoffs to worry about. However, we do have "very slow" times, and during those times... well, we really don't have a contingency plan.

7. mamab

mamab Registered Member

My husband has been in the mobile home business, and they're notorious for layoffs. We don't have contingency plan, we're trying to figure out a budget since he's just started back to work. We'll have to see what happens.

8. taiarain

I do hope this is nothing serious, you will be alright, and this is a short-term, recoverable issue.

9. katharina

katharina Registered Member

It's a real good feeling to have a backup plan to put into motion, doesn't it? Are you thinking that a layoff would be permanent? A lot of layoffs around here are just temporary for a few weeks or months.

10. taiarain

This is a plan for a permanent layoff. Hubby doesn't work in a position that gets cut for temporary cost savings and rehired shortly after. He's in a situation where a layoff means his position is eliminated and him with it.

We are facing the real possibility of him getting laid off in the near future. That's what prompted this thread really. Last time he was laid off (when the company went bankrupt and couldn't find a buyer), I had just left work and we were completely unprepared. I didn't even know that unemployment existed back then.

I never, ever want to know that feeling again.