• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Lawmakers exempt from conceal carry laws

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I ran across this story about a state representative that had a prior conviction of rape in which he plead guilty. The state he lives in has a law that exempts him from having to have a permit. Now I'm thinking he plead guilty to rape in one case and was acquitted in another case why are they letting him conceal carry, I don't care if he is a representative. I think their exemption should carry an exception like you haven't been convicted of a felony.

I have one question, should people in government be exempt from gun laws? Even if they are exempt should a person that has been convicted of a crime be?

Idaho lawmaker still allowed to carry concealed weapon despite lying about pleading guilty to rape | The Raw Story

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I would say no one that has been convicted of any crime, especially a violent crime, should be allowed to carry a weapon, concealed or not. But that's just me.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Actually what he pled to was assault with intent to rape, thus there is no conviction for rape. Like prosecutors, lawmakers often carry because of how angry and crazy some people are. A friend of mine who is a prosecutor put of getting his CCL until recently. He has put some really bad guys behind bars and to me it just makes sense for him to carry.

The issue here isn't the conviction or the guilty plea, the issue here is he lied about it. Does the guilty plea or should it prohibit him from carrying? I don't think so but I'm more swayed by the argument he lied about it. Nevertheless because he's a public official I don't have a problem with him carrying and I think he should.

As a side note I saw that mental midget, Rachel Maddow, go off on a rant about this case and how badly she missed the point made me laugh, although given her mental limitations it didn't surprise me much.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I can see where a prosecutor would need to conceal carry a gun since they deal with some pretty bad people and sometimes send the wrong person up. I'm just wondering if its a good idea to let a government official conceal carry if they have been convicted of a felony. Not necessarily talking about this man but anyone. If they are allowed to conceal carry even with a felony conviction doesn't that put them above the law. No one else would be allowed to do so.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
From what I understand this plea was a misdemeanor not a felony. I do think government officials should be given exemptions given them being subjected to some pretty upset citizens.