• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Lawmakers, bring 100,000 Syrian Refugees to US.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
WASHINGTON -- Seventy-two House Democrats joined human rights groups on Friday in calling for the U.S. to admit 100,000 Syrian refugees next fiscal year, saying the White House's proposal to take in 10,000 of them is far from enough.

The members said the U.S. should accept 200,000 refugees total in the fiscal year that begins Oct. 1, echoing a number put forward by groups that help with and advocate for resettlement.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/10000-syrians-congress-refugee-groups_55f2eb12e4b077ca094eb7df

Personally I think this is a stupid idea. There is no way we can guarantee none aren't terrorists. Another thing is 72% of the refugees Europe is getting is men. What is that all about?

Yes Germany announced to the world they would take 800 thousand, that was their choice, and now they are putting troops on the border because they are being so overwhelmed.

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm really hoping we don't bring them here. If we do I hope we don't start trying to make people change their ways to suit the refugees like Germany is. If those men can't handle seeing a woman in a bikini the west is the wrong place to be. I also hope we don't try to hide any crimes committed by them.

Police in the Bavarian town of Mering, where a 16-year-old-girl was raped on September 11, have issued a warning to parents not to allow their children to go outside unaccompanied. In the Bavarian town of Pocking, administrators of the Wilhelm-Diess-Gymnasium have warned parents not to let their daughter's wear revealing clothing in order to avoid "misunderstandings."
http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/6527/migrants-rape-germany

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The U.S. will accept 85,000 refugees from around the world next year, up from 70,000, and that total would rise to 100,000 in 2017, Kerry said at news conference with German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier after they discussed the mass migration of Syrians fleeing their civil war.
http://news.yahoo.com/kerry-us-accept-85-000-refugees-2016-100-160512384.html

Looks like we are going to do it. Not all are coming from Syria but also Africa, probably Libya and other African countries where ISIS and Boko Haram dwell. Sorry but I don't think this is a good idea.

Rand Paul said they caught Iraqi refugees trying to buy missiles in Kentucky. Two others Iraqi refugees were members of al Qaida. So members of ISIS could very well sneak through.

Sim

Registered Member
Well, America has caused this mess, by invading Iraq in 2003 and failing to stabilize it.

Had the US done their job, there would be no ISIS today and no refugee crisis.

German "truthers" and right-wing wackos are already claiming the US deliberately caused chaos in the Middle East with the purpose of destroying the EU, their rival, via immigrants.

So it would be nice if America took some responsibility for the mess they've created and took the largest share of these refugees (or at least made sure they are taken care of in the places where most of them are now, like Turkey, Libanon and Jordania).

Sim

Registered Member
Oh, and I would take info by "Gatestone Institute" with more than just a grain of salt. It's an anti-Muslim think tank with the declared goal of inciting hatred against Muslims in general, and they are not above manipulating stories, massive bias and even lies to further their cause.

http://www.thenation.com/article/sugar-mama-anti-muslim-hate/

I'm not a fan of radical Islam at all, but neither am I a fan of fueling hatred of any kind. Not all people who consider themselves Muslims should be painted with the same broad brush, just like you cannot blame an entire ethnic group for horrible deeds of some among them (even when these "some" are a significant number).

Instead of fueling hatred, we should rather look for contructive ways to deal with Muslims and Islam. In the end, they are just people, too -- many of which take their religion too seriously, but there are many who don't care that much about it, too.

Especially these refugees -- first of all, they're human beings who have been through hell; many of them have left everything behind they once had, spent thousands of dollars or euros just to escape from the shitholes their countries are thanks to islamists, and eagerly want to start a new, better life here, just like the many immigrants who once founded America.

I admit I don't know how many of these refugees are like that, or how many are too much into Islam. Perhaps you'll find both types. But we shouldn't make the mistake of rejecting them right away, refusing to even give them a chance, just because they come from Muslim countries. IMO.