Law Enforcement agencies don't need a warrant to track locations of our cell phones?

Wade8813

Registered Member
Justice Dept. defends warrantless cell phone tracking | Politics and Law - CNET News

At least according to the DoJ...

The FBI and other police agencies don't need to obtain a search warrant to learn the locations of Americans' cell phones, the U.S. Department of Justice told a federal appeals court in Philadelphia on Friday.
A Justice Department attorney told the Third Circuit Court of Appeals that there is no constitutional problem with obtaining records from cellular providers that can reveal the approximate locations of handheld and mobile devices.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I'm not sure I have a problem with it. I even think it's a good thing except if you're running away from law enforcement -- in which case just buy another phone with an alias or something.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I find this invasion of privacy extremely disturbing and I'm somewhat surprised this hasn't been reported very much. I read about this the other day but have yet to see much about by most news outlets.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Really? I think being able to listen to your calls is very invasive, but knowing where you are? Don't they even have apps for it now with cellphones where you can track on a GPS where your other "friends" are. But that's not even for goverment use, ha. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something or I just don't care much about that aspect.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Really? I think being able to listen to your calls is very invasive, but knowing where you are? Don't they even have apps for it now with cellphones where you can track on a GPS where your other "friends" are. But that's not even for goverment use, ha. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something or I just don't care much about that aspect.
Exactly, there's a difference between wanting people to know where you are and the government knowing exactly where you are. I'm just not comfortable with the government being able to track people without their consent.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Ha, there are people I know who I prefer to not be aware where I am so they don't bug me. The government however, I cannot think of a specific instance (for me personally) when I'd wish they don't have access to this. I think my life is the same whether the law enforcement can track me or not.

Scissorhands

Registered Member
Yeah um... Horrible idea. I guess. I have two sides to this.

1) I ALWAYS have warrants. Seriously. Every time I get pulled over it seems I'm going to work for something. I get arrested at work, at home, everywhere. It's fucking ridiculous. So I say this is a horrible idea.

2) I had my cell phone cut off. =D Fuck em.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Ha, there are people I know who I prefer to not be aware where I am so they don't bug me. The government however, I cannot think of a specific instance (for me personally) when I'd wish they don't have access to this. I think my life is the same whether the law enforcement can track me or not.
And my life would be the same if the government was able to come into my house unannounced and without a warrant as I have nothing to hide and nothing illegal in my house....I would still object to their lack of authority however.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
But they'd still need a warrant to get to your house, right? Or is that covered by "tracking locations" too?

What I meant by my former statement was, I have nothing to lose and only to gain if I think it'll help law enforcement track people who needed tracked for public safety or official reasons. Uhm, what other reasons would the law enforcement want to track anyone (outside of abuse for personal use)?

Well let's think about it this way ysabel. Take me for instance, I am on probation for an MIP, which puts me in the same category as drug users they consider it "abusing a substance."

Now if they are able to track my location without a warrant, say I'm in a notoriously bad part of town, known for drug activity, hanging out with some friends. That's all they would need to obtain a search warrant for me.

It's not that catching "bad guys" is wrong, it's the problem that more assumptions could be made, while taking away your freedoms. In the UNited States, we supposedly have certain "unalienable" rights, if we continue to set the precedent that these rights mean nothing, then soon these "unalienable" rights will be a thing of the past.

Last edited: