Law as "a idiot"

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Steerpike, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

In what ways is the law "a ass" or "a idiot," and how should/could it be corrected?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008

2. Elf1

Elf1 Registered Member

The first thing I would do to correct it is to use proper grammar.

The law as AN idiot.

The law as AN ass.

Once people figure out the rudimentaries, they can then try to attain the lofty goals of figuring out the answer to the question.

3. Steerpike

Quoting the author. :D

So what is "the answer to the question?"

4. Elf1

Elf1 Registered Member

I know. And it was Charles Dickens no less.

Which kind of feeds into my point, doesn't it?

And the truth of it is there is no answer.

Laws have at least 2 problems related to idiocy.

1. They are done by popular demand. Sometimes it is a knee jerk reaction to some random and rare event...sometimes not. But popularity doesn't make something right.

2. Laws are made by people who need to justify their job (politician). It is in the best interest of a politician to create more and more laws.

3. In connection to #2, laws are there to protect people...to ensure freedom. But the twist is, the more laws your create, the less freedom you have.

5. Steerpike

So the discussion may be aided by some concrete examples here is a site which lists some:

Stupid Laws in America

Here is a sample from the site:

If it helps, then use examples to focus on how to answer the question in the original post.

6. TimmehD

TimmehD Registered Member

Wow, you're actually believing that?

People really are fucking stupid. It may have been 100 years ago that these laws were enacted, and that's saying they're even real, which, come on! My God...

7. Corona

Corona Registered Member

Many drug laws are pretty foolish. 21 as a drinking age? I can legally go die in Iraq before I can have a beer. The classification system for drugs sucks. The penalties are a little harsh. In some states you can't buy booze on certain days (see Sunday).

8. juha82

juha82 Registered Member

The law isn't impartial.

Also sometimes they do a big mistakes(knowing one thing).

A couple day ago i started crying to watching one Finnish-movie where the law sucks and one woman did get to the prison even if she was guiltless.
    But a happy end for the movie.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  9. Steerpike

Your initial point (lacking impartiality) answers the first part of the question regarding in what ways the law is "a ass" or "a idiot."

How could/should that be corrected?

10. juha82

juha82 Registered Member

You see that Nro3 by Elf.
    Also i see about injustice of verdicts.
    On the other hand, it's a hard work by all members in the court.

Once happened here(in Finland) one very nasty thing on the law as they conned but i think it will ever happens in the future(a law wasn't so good in olden times).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.