• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Laurence Maroney arrested in St. Louis

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Laurence Maroney arrested, released in St. Louis | ksdk.com | St. Louis, MO

St. Louis (KSDK) -- NFL running back and St. Louis native Laurence Maroney is free Tuesday morning after being pulled over and taken into police custody last night, according to his attorney Vanessa Antoniou.
Antoniou said her client was in a vehicle that was pulled over on Grand Boulevard near Chaifetz Arena around 10:30 p.m.
St. Louis police said three vehicles were circling the arena and causing traffic to slow and several people inside the vehicles were spotted smoking what was believed to be marijuana. Officers pulled over two of the vehicles, but the third left the scene.
Police said inside one of the vehicles were six people, three guns and a substance believed to be marijuana. Five of the six people inside the vehicle were arrested. Two were arrested on possession of marijuana. Three others were arrested on possession of marijuana and unlawful use of a weapon.
Police are not identifying anyone inside the vehicle, because no charges have been filed, but police sources tell NewsChannel 5 that Maroney was in the vehicle. The report says a 25-year-old (same age as Maroney) had a valid conceal and carry permit in the vehicle but was arrested for possessing a firearm while under the influence of drugs.
Maroney's publicist, Jane Higgins, confirms that her client was arrested for unlawful possession of a firearm, because he was not carrying his conceal and carry permit with him. She denies claims that Maroney was in possession of marijuana. Higgins tells KSDK that Maroney feels police made a mistake.
Maroney was a first-round pick in 2006 for the New England Patriots and was traded to the Broncos in 2010. Maroney graduated from Normandy High School.
Police said five people and a gun were found in the second vehicle. A 28-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of being a felon in possession of a weapon.
No charges have been filed in the case.

NewsChannel 5 and KSDK.COM do not normally name anyone who has been arrested and not charged, but we believe it is appropriate because Maroney is a public figure.
KSDK
Thoughts on Maroney and on his arrest?

BigBob

Registered Member
I don't really care about the whole gun thing because all professional athlete's have them nowadays anyways so it's not a huge shocker. If they were dumb enough to look suspicious driving around in circles, then they deserve to get pulled over. It's St. Louis. It's a big city with (I'm assuming) cops everywhere. In that kind of city, go home and smoke there.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I think the gun thing is stupid, though. I'm sure he knows what has happened with the likes of Plaxico Burress, etc. It's just unprofessional and careless. If he does have a conceal/carry permit (which is legal here), it's stupid to have forgotten it.

A career like that is a gift, I just think that people need to use their brains a little more.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
These things never surprise me. I bet the majority of NBA and NFL players do these same things, but you just don't hear about them unless they get caught.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
So he was driving in slow circles smoking pot with weapons in the car?

If he was that stupid he deserved to be caught. He'll be getting a drug test from the NFL now, I'll bet.