Movies Latest updates on Iron Man 2

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Ryuk, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

Two major notes with regards to casting, both off IGN:

Not as a knock at Don Cheadle but it's bad enough that you're not get Terrance back as Rhodey, but now not getting Sam back as Nick? C'mon there's no need to be cheap here, this movie was a huge success, you know you'll (most likely) put asses in the seats for the sequel, so why all these casting snafus now?

Well in any case IMDB currently has Sam Rockwell cast as Justin Hammer (also confirmed by IGN), Rourke cast as Whiplash which gives me the impression that he won't be the only villian in the movie (not counting Hammer), and Emily Blunt as Black Widow. It also lists Sam as Fury with "rumored" attached and the same for Tim Robbins as Howard Stark. Still no Mandarin though :thumbdown:

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I hate when movies that are supposedly "big budget" take the cheap way out and scrap big name actors.

I for one am losing interest in both of these movies due to such reports. Samuel L. Jackson NEEDS to be in at least the Avengers. I don't think his character is necessarily necessary for Iron Man 2 but they already gave us a teaser of him as Nick Fury. If he's not in the Avengers you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be a ton of angry fans, myself included.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

muahahaha... SLJ not in Iron Man 2? lol that movie just moved a point up my interest scale! I hate Samuel L. Jackson with a passion :hah:

Although still not good enough to replace the Terrance Howard loss..... I'm still upset about that one.

4. Eilt_Druin

Eilt_Druin Registered Member

Marvel really seems to be cutting back on this one. I think they may be realizing that their plans might have been a little too ambitious. Supposedly, Howard was the highest paid actor in Iron Man, even though he was a secondary character. Marvel says they've decided to take the role in a different direction, which to me sounds like they've dropped the idea of spinning off a War Machine movie.

As for Fury... while I'd like to see Jackson back in it (especially since they're using Ultimate Nick Fury from the comics, who was based partly on Jackson in the first place), I could be convinced to accept someone else. But only if they go the route of using the original Nick Fury, who has a lot more history with some characters. In particular, he fought alongside Captain America in WWII, so that would allow the character to be used in the Cap movie.

5. Rorschach

Rorschach Registered Member

This film is something I am looking forward to.The First one did so many things right,and nothing wrong(that I can think of)

6. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

IMDB once had Aunt May to be playing Carnage in Spider-man 3, so be careful with that one.

As for no Mandarin I can completely see why. He's a completely nonsensical villain who uses alien magic or something equally lame. I can't imagine how he'd fit into the Iron Man movie universe.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  7. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

Pretty much the same thing could of been said about Ra's Al Ghoul, and yet there he was in Batman Begins.

Favreau has already stated that the Mandarin will show up at some point in this movie series, the fact that the terrorist group that captured Tony in the first movies was called "The Ten Rings" should of been a dead giveaway as is.

8. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

True but Ras al ghoul was adapted very well, and worked well into the whole theatricality and deception techniques. I've only ever heared Favreau say that he's unsure how Mandarin would fit. It would take some seriously good writing to make him work.

9. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

I think if you can find a way to adapt Ras and make it work then you can find a way to adapt the Mandarin and make it work. It's a little more important here because as we know the Mandarin is Iron Man's main archvillian/rival.

Or as noted here:IGN: Iron Man 2 Web Chat

I don't expect to see Tony go mano y mano with the Mandarin in Iron Man 2, it's pretty apparent that he's supposed to be some "figure in the shadows pulling the strings" at this point in the story, but I'd like for him to at least show up for a few scenes this time around.