• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Latest Polls: Obama Leads All GOP Candidates Nationally; Huckabee Leads In Iowa

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's really sad that these are their candidates. Romney is not so bad, I may vote his way. Never heard of Pawlenty and it's safe to say I'd never vote for lunatic extremists like Palin, Bachman or Huckabee. Trump has done nothing impressive yet beyond media-level rumor mongering and Newt is . . . well, he's just Newt. I mean, Obama shouldn't be difficult to defeat. He's broken nearly every promise he made, sided with Republicans on several issues his peers were hoping he wouldn't (such as the Patriot Act) and he just hasn't had a strong presence domestically.

The Republicans really need a guy whose not going to be some blowhard. Someone who isn't going to partake in the stupid gossip game that American politics has become and someone who can really command a crowd and draw an audience. I want to see someone who isn't going to just tow party lines and throw money at his/her favorite industries to pad their own wallets. Maybe I'm dreaming, but if the Republicans want to stand a chance they need a real leader, not one of the phonies many people think the Republicans will choose.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
What I see is a big problem for the GOP, they have all these different types, characters and levels of extreme splitting their vote drastically. The GOP needs someone to take control and gracefully eliminate so many different candidates and bring a better union of voters back to the GOP, or, Obama will possibly win again.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
This may come as a shock to some but I agree with Merc. The Republicans have failed to find anyone of substance who can take the votes from the middle road voters. Obama should be easy to beat, unfortunately, all the Republicans have so far is Palin.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I just think it's damaging to the GOP's building of a campaign to let the spotlight be focused so much on people like Trump, Palin, and Bachmann when they could have the more substantive candidates in the forefront.

No offense if you're a big fan of any of the three; as a guy that's more on the other side politically, though, it's hard to take them seriously in general. This seems to be true with a lot of people I've heard from outside of the forum.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Yeah, I'm not really interested in any of those options. But it is still a long way off. I haven't heard much about Herman Cain, but what I have heard from him I like.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
411mania.com: Politics - Latest Polls: Obama Leads All GOP Candidates Nationally; Huckabee Leads In Iowa

Obama 55% - Sarah Palin 38%
Obama 54% - Newt Gingrich 39%
Obama 49% - Mitt Romney 45%
Obama 50% - Mike Huckabee 44%
Obama 53% - Tim Pawlenty 38%
Obama 52% - Donald Trump 40%
Obama 51% - Michele Bachmann 39%

I know the polls are still early, and a lot can change but I am still curious to know what you guys think of the latest polls?
Here's another interesting poll: Poll finds most Americans can't name a GOP presidential candidate - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
About half of all Americans -- 53 percent -- could not name anyone when asked which Republican candidate they've been hearing the most about, according to a new survey from the Pew Research Center.
Its a telling fact that Obama gets about 53% of the vote and 53% of people can't name a single Republican. Given the choice of Obama or Fred Figglehorn who would you vote for if the election was today? See what I mean?
It is true that there's just nobody coming up that looks winnable, but it is really early and there are some real dynamite characters out there. Most notably as SS said Herman Cain. I was extremely disappointed that Jim DeMint decided to not run but all is not lost. Merc's right Obama really shouldn't be that hard to beat even with the media in his back pocket.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I think part of it is just a matter of people knowing your name. During the primaries, all of the candidates will be a bit more known, and then whoever is eventually selected - almost regardless of who it is - will suddenly increase in popularity.

OvejaSlayer

Registered Member
I think it's interesting that they didn't include Ron Paul on that list.

He's won every straw poll so far I believe (or at least 2 or 3 of them).

The Republicans will never run him because he doesn't support the war machine (or military-industrial complex, whichever term you prefer).

Politics are so controlled it's pretty much hopeless anyway. Ah the illusion of choice and freedom....

C-Mach

Registered Member
Its a telling fact that Obama gets about 53% of the vote and 53% of people can't name a single Republican. Given the choice of Obama or Fred Figglehorn who would you vote for if the election was today? See what I mean?
MenInTights, you make an absolutely excellent point.