Last VCR manufacturer to stop production

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Last known VCR manufacturer to stop production

I'm surprised anyone was still making them and anyone would buy one. I don't have a vcr anymore but I still have old vcr tapes packed up somewhere. Probably all moldy by now. One thing I liked about them over the DVD recorder was you just pop it in and hit record.

Unity

Sho.
Staff member
A single tear just rolled down my face. Haha growing up with VCRs, it does make me sad. I still only own my favorite movie on VHS! I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the sound of a rewinding tape, or the ca-chunk of one being ejected.

I did hate the lack of recording with DVDs and I'm glad I now have a cable company that allows me to record without charging extra every month.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't have a DVD recorder anymore, just a bluray but recording on a DVD recorder was more trouble than the VCR. I liked the fact you could record over and over on the same tape and fast forward through the commercials.

thealigator

Registered Member
I remember reading back in 2009 (I think it was 2009) but I would be wrong when Sony announces they were no longer making HiFi's with MiniDisc players/recorders in them and my reaction was very much like this one of "minidiscs were still a thing?".

To their credit VCRs and video tapes will probably be the longest running medium we will ever see. BluRays may be all the rage right now but I don't think any medium will ever be able to eclipse the humble VHS tape, There was so much to love. The fact you could record over them multiple times, the fact that they would basically be fixed by sticking them back together with sellotape and if it was ever a bit fuzzy? Well a good blow with your mouth *titters* would soon fix that problem. Also the fact that if you stopped it it would continue right where you left off was invaluable and I think we all remember the first time that we discovered you could copy a video by having two VCRs connected with a component cable. Plus it had the simplest method of copying over by simply putting tape over the missing tab.

There was just so much going for the VCR. Long play recording, time programmable recording and Video Plus where you could either enter a really long code or in some cases you had wand that you could run over a barcode and it would program it into the VCRs memory for you. The more and more I think about the more sad I am they have gone. We will never in my opinion see anything like this again and in a market were TiVo, DVR and Sky + boxes are the standard the VCR really was the thing that started it all and these services owe a debt of gratitude.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The VCR made it possible for the first time to record your favorite show so you didn't have to stay at home to watch it. It also changed the home movie for the better.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Some of my relatives have VCR;s and huge libraries of movies on tapes in plastic cassettes but that's a ton of space for only a few movies. That's also a ton of tape. I know because one broke and all the tape came out.

All my movies and stuff are on DVD's or flash but I have used a VCR to play movies. That's called analog, btw. and the picture is fuzzy. I don't get that when I play movies at home and rewinding those tapes takes a really long time. Those VCR's are cool but I don't think I'd ever want one. It's tons easier just to pop in a DVD or a flash.