Last-place M's fire manager Wakamatsu

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

It seems like a bad time to do it. Anyone they bring in will be stuck dealing with the same crap Wak had. If you fire Wak at the end of the year, the new manager gets a fresh start. Unless they bring in an interim manager...

3. Babe_Ruth

That's what usually happens Wade, it's really rare that they name a new Manager right away. Usually you'll an interim for the rest of the season, and if he does a good job then he has a chance to get the job.

4. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

It feels like yesterday that we were talking about the Mariners possibly taking the division this year...

I'm hoping this is good for the team ultimately...an interim manager can surprisingly reengage fans typically, but with this season I think it's just a gesture acknowledging failure and the need to make changes.

I really don't know the manager or the franchise enough to comment on whether it's a good decision or not.

5. SqueakScolari

SqueakScolari Registered Member

I agree Unity, I remember here at the start of the season, all agreeing the Mariners were going to be the team to beat in the AL West.

I feel bad for Wakamatsu but he had to go. He lost control of that ballclub and they need a new man in charge.

As far as managers go, ride an interim the rest of the way and get a no nonsense manager to come in and clean things up. I would give Bobby Valentine the controls if he wants it. I think he was interested in Baltimore but something definitely went awry with that situation.

6. Babe_Ruth

He was also suppose to manage the Marlins and something went wrong with that situation as well.

If I was a General Manager, and looking for a coach, I wouldn't mind giving Valentine another chance to manage a ballclub. He knows what he's doing, he's a good teacher and he has proven success in the past.