• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Larry Sweeney Commits Suicide

wooly

I am the woolrus
Pro wrestling manager Alex Whybrow, who performed as Larry Sweeney for Ring of Honor and numerous American independent promotions, has died at the age of 29.
F4WOnline.com reports that he committed suicide either late last night or this morning. It is believed that he hung himself.

Whybrow suffered from bipolar disorder and had a breakdown in 2009, which he described as “the absolute worst event” of his life. He went through a long recovery process the following year. He made sporadic appearances on the independent scene after parting ways with ROH in 2009.

Independent wrestler Chris Hero, a friend of Whybrow, commented on his passing on Twitter.

“We lost a dedicated friend and an overwhelmingly talented performer this morning,” he wrote. “Alex Whybrow aka ‘Sweet & Sour’ Larry Sweeney has passed.
“We spent a few yrs together on the road & Alex was gifted beyond measure. He could enthrall you with colorful stories from his personal life or he could captivate thousands with his undeniable charisma. I loved him & my heart is with his family, friends & his countless fans. First he was my student & he transcended that almost immediately. I will forever cherish our in depth conversations & time spent together. Love you man. Miss you. Rest in Peace.”
This is probably the hardest a wrestler's death has ever hit me. I'm stunned.

Was probably the best manager in the business today. Given the opportunity, had to potential to be one of the best of all time. Naturally charismatic, amazing all round entertainer. Unfortunately, when he wasn't cutting some of the best promos in wrestling, or out entertaining the fans, he supposedly had bad drug problems, and suffered from extreme depression, due to his bi-polar condition. He hit some really tough times after his breakdown in 2009, when he left ROH, and i was praying for him to start getting back on track for a long time. I was delighted to see him back in the spotlight, where he at least seems at home, when he rejoined CHIKARA late last year, but unfortunately it was only brief. He said he was going to return to CHIKARA in 2011 and... well, that was the last i heard of him until now.

He was best known as the leader of Sweet n' Sour Inc., where he was a fast talking Jerry McGuire type agent, with a little Bobby Heenan mixed in. Along with a little Ric Flair, Mr. Perfect, Randy Savage, Roddy Piper and well... pretty much a combination of everything that was great about all the 80's promo legends! There's not much of him on youtube, and pretty much none of his best work from ROH shows is there, but here's a little taste of his charismatic mic skills.

YouTube - Larry Sweeney Responds To Delirious

YouTube - "Sweet and Sour" Larry Sweeney promo (11.13.05)

R.I.P. Larry Sweeney

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I read about this yesterday. Definitely sad to see another young guy in the Wrestling business die so young. I haven't seen much stuff of Sween n Sour, but he definitely was charasmatic and would of probably made it in the WWE or TNA one day. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Read about this a few days ago...tragic and sad, I wish that he could have gotten the help that he needed.

A good manager is hard to find these days; RIP Larry.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
To be honest I've never heard of Larry Sweeney but as a wrestling fan it sucks seeing this happen to another young performer. RIP.