• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Laptop with a built in Hotspot?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'm probably going to buy a new laptop soon.

I recently found out that some phones can be plugged in to your laptop to act as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Unfortunately, this tends to be fairly slow. I believe that some computers have this feature built into them. Is this true? Does it provide better connectivity than using your phone? What is this feature called?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It's slower and it's called tethering. There's an extra charge for it and, I believe, the data is capped.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I know if you connect a phone to a laptop it's tethering - is it still tethering if it's built in to the laptop instead?

uclgeogphd

Registered Member
So essentially are you asking if there are laptops with built in 3G? As these do, or at least have existed in the past. I would suspect that they would be network dependent and require some element of subscription to them with a network provider. Otherwise I just use my mobile via bluetooth to act as a network access point and eat off my internet data limit which is 500mb a month. Get no where near it to be honest without connecting on occasion to my netbook.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
For intent and purposes it is a tethering as it is a connection that is being provided and then being connected without the aid of another source. There are some laptops which come with a slot sort of like a Micro SD Card where you can slide a sim chip into it, I seem to remember we had one in our office, I think the make was an IBM Thinkpad, and it was able from the sim card to create a connection. If I remember I will ask in the office today for you wade

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
i don't know about connecting phones to it but i know you can buy some kind of usb connection from a phone service provider and the gadget serves as it's own router. You can connect to internet anywhere that there's coverage by that phone (as if you're using a BB or iPhone and u get internet with you "anywhere" you go).

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I know the OP is pretty old now but I have a better answer than my other one.

(haha, thanks for that rep, Goat. I know I'm the man :p)

Anyway, you can use nearly all smart phones as a WiFi hot spot now as long as you pay for the service. Beware, though. Cell companies are getting ridiculous with their rates and the only company that offers unlimited data anymore is Sprint.