Language and You! - Words You Won't Use

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Are there words that you find either so offensive, disgusting or disturbing that you choose not to use them? Swears, racial slurs, sexual terms, anything? Why?

Personally, there are no words that I really have a problem saying (depending on the context of course, I'm not going to walk into a bar and asking if there are any greasy micks around) but I know a few of my friends really, really hate the word cunt just because they think it's a gross and offensive word. Yes, they are both women but to be honest it does feel a bit dirty to me as well. Then again, I've called people dicks so I don't think it's as bad as they think. But hey, that's me.

How about you?

Hiei

The Hierophant
There aren't many words that I don't use. I'm a pretty free and open speaker and I curse like a sailor to the point where I barely notice when I'm actually swearing.

That said, I don't really ever say the word "pussy" in the context of vagina. I didn't really refer to vagina as a pussy before my mom had her hysterectomy but when she actually did have her hysterectomy, she asked me to go to the nurses station to get her some gauze so she could rebandage herself. The nurse behind the desk somehow confused me saying "I need some gauze so my mom can rebandage her wound" for "my mom needs a pad for her vagina." When I got back to the room, my mom looked in the bag that the pad was in and said "Can you PLEASE tell that fucking nurse that I need some GAUZE for my incision, NOT a pad for my pussy!"

From that moment on, "pussy" has become a very dirty and gross word to me. Just something about thinking about my mom's vagina as a pussy completely puts me off to the word.

I'm sure that there are other words that I don't use for various reasons, but that's the main one that I can think of straight away.

Unity

Jedi Mind Tricks
Staff member
Racial terms are what bother me, yes I'm PC and I'm proud of it. I think it's a step forward for society in general to begin that sort of thinking in the big picture.

Even using them in jokes perpetuates old stereotypes and hateful lines of thinking, whether one does it with realization/intent or not.

I'm ok with cussing, but I try to limit it depending on who I talk to. I have no problem leaving words like that out, and I can usually flip it on and off like a switch.

Can't think of any sexual terms at the moment that I have a problem with.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
It's funny because in foreign languages, I can use every "bad" or dirty word possible...maybe because you never get the impact that a foreign word can have when is used in another language.

In my own language, I never do that otherwise I feel dirty, just the like word itself.

Cons said:
but I know a few of my friends really, really hate the word cunt just because they think it's a gross and offensive word.
Yeah, people seem to have a thing about this. I know a good handful of people that absolutely loathe the word cunt but are just fine with everything else. My mum brought me up thinking it was the worst possible thing you could ever say, no questions. But it's just another swear word to me.

That said, I don't really ever say the word "pussy" in the context of vagina. I didn't really refer to vagina as a pussy before my mom had her hysterectomy but when she actually did have her hysterectomy, she asked me to go to the nurses station to get her some gauze so she could rebandage herself. The nurse behind the desk somehow confused me saying "I need some gauze so my mom can rebandage her wound" for "my mom needs a pad for her vagina." When I got back to the room, my mom looked in the bag that the pad was in and said "Can you PLEASE tell that fucking nurse that I need some GAUZE for my incision, NOT a pad for my pussy!"

From that moment on, "pussy" has become a very dirty and gross word to me. Just something about thinking about my mom's vagina as a pussy completely puts me off to the word.

I'm sure that there are other words that I don't use for various reasons, but that's the main one that I can think of straight away.
Same here, this is the only one I would have mentioned. I can't think of any others that bother me at all. Even then, I don't care when other people say it I just won't use it myself in that context.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I never use the word behoove....j/k:p

I never use racial slurs and I keep cussing to a bare minimum especially in public. I find it uncouth.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I don't really like racial slurs. they make me cringe, and pretty much disgust me. maybe it's because i have heard them too often when i was younger.

cunt really doesn't bother me at all. it generally makes me laugh most times. the one i hate was mentioned above, pussy. what makes it even more odd is that i enjoy the prince song, pussy control.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I try not to use any curse words (if that's what you want to call them) and I try to stay away from racial terms being used as insults, if it's part of an open and mature discussion then I don't mind using racial terms so much so long as everybody else in the conversation has that same understanding.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Well, you'll be able to tell just how much I do not like foul language by the fact that all your words in the above posts come out like this **** when I view them. :lol:

I don't like such words because they are offensive, rude, crude, etc.

I've never understood why someone needs to use curse words when they're making a point or having a conversation. If you have any level of intelligence you can get your point across withour using the "F" bomb (as my daughters call it) every few words. To me, when someone uses racial slurs or curse words, my respect for them drops and I actually visualize their IQ dropping before my eyes.