Lakers Talk With Nuggets About Camby

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
L.A. Times -
The Los Angeles Lakers have begun talks with the Denver Nuggets regarding center Marcus Camby, the NBA defensive player of the year, who has led the league in blocked shots the last two seasons.

Camby, 33, averaged 11.2 points, 11.7 rebounds and 3.3 blocks last season. He has a decent midrange jump shot and doesn't demand the ball often in the post, doing most of his scoring with outside shots and after offensive rebounds.

The Nuggets are reportedly trying to lower their payroll, which would make Lakers center Kwame Brown a possibility in trade talks, a league source said.

Brown has only one year left on his contract, for $9.1 million; Camby has three years and about $26 million left on his contract. The Lakers might have to add another low-salaried player or a draft pick to make such a deal more equitable for the Nuggets.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/46349/20070602/lakers_talk_with_nuggets_about_camby/

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
That deal would certinly work for the Lakers. Camby is one of the best defensive players in the league and I can only see him getting better and if he plays for the Lakers then they as a team will be better as well.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
If he goes to Lakers, he can finish of his career there, he is getting old but still has talent in him. Lakers need some really good defense and Camby can fit in there.

Would love to see him come down to Lakers

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
I think the Nuggets are smart though and likely won't make this deal go through after all. Camby is finally coming into his groove as one of the best defensive players in the league and the Nuggets have been patient with him so I think they will keep him.

O

orlando tragic

The nuggest might actually pull the trigger because of Camby's big contract. I think the nuggets will actually benefit from the trade because Kwame is an athletic defensive player. His offense sucks but Kwame can do well in the nuggets system since he doesn't require any offensive touches to be effective on defense.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Camby is one of the best defenders in the league, and he would help the Lakers in so many ways but that's if he can stay healthy, he has had injury problems in the past, but hasn't missed a lot of game in the last few seasons. See if I was the Nuggets I wouldn't do this trade, I would try to get rid of Martin instead, but I know that would be easier then done because of his large contract and hasn't played a lot of game in the last two seasons.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
Yeah I agree with MJ. I would so not do this deal if I was the Nuggets. Camby is so much better of a player compared to Browne right now and when he is healthy he is one of the best around period. To give him up would be a huge shock to me and a huge break for the Lakers.

zunami

Registered Member
The Nuggets laughed at this offer and should feel offended. I saw 90% of Nuggets games. Apparently Kupchak didn't see a single Nuggets game because this shows he has no idea how screwed the Nuggets would be without Camby on defense.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
There's no way that the Nuggets would even consider trading Marcus Camby for Kwame Brown even with Camby's healthy contract. Kwame Brown as been a really disappointment since entering the league, he hasn't done anything to show the Basketball world he belongs. So I doubt that the Nuggets would even consider acquiring him.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
It was a long shot that they would do the deal and I guess being smart they didn't. Browne like Bosh said has not done anything in his time in the NBA.