• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Lady Liberty Gives Cruz the Finger

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The New York Daily News is giving GOP hopeful Ted Cruz the middle finger.

Cruz has been going after his nearest rival, Donald Trump, slamming him for his "New York values."
http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/NY-Daily-News-Cruz-Middle-Finger/2016/01/15/id/709608/

I was watching the debate when Cruz did this and Trump slammed him on it. Big mistake on Cruz's part. I don't blame New Yorkers being upset about it. But when you have been flipped off by Lady Liberty you've really been given the finger.

Thoughts?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Cruz nor any of the other GOP candidates care about NYC. Bashing it will only help him get Republican votes.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I bet Trump cares about NYC.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't know what exactly Cruz meant by "New York values," but it's not a good look and could be seen as un-American to be slamming the financial and cultural heartbeat of the country. There is nothing more American than New York.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Cruz nor any of the other GOP candidates care about NYC. Bashing it will only help him get Republican votes.
Really? None of them care about New York? Do you have any evidence to support that? What is it about ALL the GOP candidates that supports your claim?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't know what exactly Cruz meant by "New York values," but it's not a good look and could be seen as un-American to be slamming the financial and cultural heartbeat of the country. There is nothing more American than New York.
What makes New York any more "American" than any other part of the country? What exactly is "American"? Are people from Iowa, Chicago, Austin, Hawaii, Texas less American? Is it un-American to criticize a state with such registrictions as how big of a Big Gulp I can by? Is it unAmerican to criticize areas of the country that say STILL don't support same sex marriage? Was it unAmerican for Obama to criticize areas that "cling to their guns and religion? Why are they fair game for criticism but New Yorkers aren't?

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
Not that Cruz had much of a chance of winning before but he just shot himself in the foot with this crap. Not a smart move at all, he's gonna have to withdraw soon.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm wondering why any of the ones that have low poll ratings haven't withdrawn yet including Bush. I have to wonder if Bush is waiting for a brokered convention so he will be appointed by them to run even though not many want him. With as many there is running that could very well happen.

Right now Cruz isn't doing bad in the polls but that remark about New Yorkers will hurt him. Which now he is being sued by a Texas lawyer over his birth and if he does win I look for the democrats to make as issue out of it just like the republicans did with Obama.

Chris Christie is down right scary but so is Clinton.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
What makes New York any more "American" than any other part of the country? What exactly is "American"? Are people from Iowa, Chicago, Austin, Hawaii, Texas less American? Is it un-American to criticize a state with such registrictions as how big of a Big Gulp I can by? Is it unAmerican to criticize areas of the country that say STILL don't support same sex marriage? Was it unAmerican for Obama to criticize areas that "cling to their guns and religion? Why are they fair game for criticism but New Yorkers aren't?
When I say there is nothing more American than New York, I mean that NYC is the most influential city in America. It's been the most populous city for almost the entirety of our country's history, it's the financial and cultural center of the country (as I said in my previous post), and it symbolizes freedom, opportunity, and diversity. Immigrants don't come to America with dreams of finding success in Iowa.

So in that respect, I find it a bit curious to be slamming the city that has shaped America more than any other city with a generalization like "New York values."

His clarification...

"But everyone understands that the values in New York City are socially liberal or pro-abortion or pro- gay-marriage, focus around money and the media."

Doesn't make much sense when he would then go on to apologize to the "millions of New Yorkers who have been let down by liberal politicians in the state" and then criticize the governor and NYC mayor. When the vast majority of their constituents are pro choice and pro gay marriage, it's a bit nonsensical to criticize the politicians for these policies. To do so would be criticizing the democratic process.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
When I say there is nothing more American than New York, I mean that NYC is the most influential city in America. It's been the most populous city for almost the entirety of our country's history, it's the financial and cultural center of the country (as I said in my previous post), and it symbolizes freedom, opportunity, and diversity. Immigrants don't come to America with dreams of finding success in Iowa.

So in that respect, I find it a bit curious to be slamming the city that has shaped America more than any other city with a generalization like "New York values."

His clarification...

"But everyone understands that the values in New York City are socially liberal or pro-abortion or pro- gay-marriage, focus around money and the media."

Doesn't make much sense when he would then go on to apologize to the "millions of New Yorkers who have been let down by liberal politicians in the state" and then criticize the governor and NYC mayor. When the vast majority of their constituents are pro choice and pro gay marriage, it's a bit nonsensical to criticize the politicians for these policies. To do so would be criticizing the democratic process.
What are you talking about? Of course they do. Immigrants come to ALL parts of this country, for different reasons. Not a single immigrant family member of mine came here with dreams of finding success in New York.

It's not addressing the democratic process at all, it's addressing the values, values that I myself do not subscribe to, excessive gun control, excessive taxation, abortion, all things I disagree with. Texas is a red state, it has values YOU don't subscribe to. If Bernie Sanders was from Texas and exhibited some of those values and YOU said "I can't vote for Sanders because he exhibits some of those Texas values" how are you criticizing the democratic process? You are addressing values YOU don't subscribe to and can't vote for a candidate who does subscribe to them.