Lactic Acid burn

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by tipsycatlover, Aug 14, 2007.

1. tipsycatlover

tipsycatlover Registered Member

No doubt about it. My legs are my weakest part. I get an incredible lactic acid burn in my quads so I can't do many reps. Does anyone have a solution?

2. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

Go down in weight and see if that makes a difference.

If that's not the case then you might not be getting enough oxygen to muscles. This could be from not breathing correctly or a medical condition. This also could be from having not enough energy in your body. Are you eating before your workout?

Lactic acid (lactate) is released from the muscles and converted to glucose (sugar = energy) in the liver. This is actually a cycle. First your body converts glucose into energy in the liver and lactic acid is a by-product. Lactic acid is then absorbed by the muscle cells and converted into energy. This is what has been seen as the "burning" sensation. Lactic acid isn't a bad thing; it's energy. As you bulk up you'll have more energy (or should from eating more), and your body will be much more efficient at converting lactic acid into energy without the burning sensation.

You're not tired or hurting from the lactic acid. It's from your muscles being torn and the low blood sugar levels.

3. tipsycatlover

tipsycatlover Registered Member

Thank you. I have and always have had a problem with low blood sugar. I'll make some changes and see if that helps. No matter how low the weight is, I still have the problem. I'll keep working on the issue.

4. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

If you normally have a low blood sugar problem you might want to ask a nutritionist or doctor what you should do. Through this process the body's blood sugar is lower than usual and if you already had a previous problem, it might not be safe for you. Since your body's blood sugar is already low, it's pulling glucose reserves out of your liver before you even work out. This maybe why you have such an intense and rapid buildup of lactic acid so quickly.

I would definitely check with a professional on this one if you want to keep working out or at least do some research so you don't hurt yourself.