L.A. vs. Denver Series 2009

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well this series is tied at 1 to 1. The Lakers lost one home game out of two and they'll now go on to play two games in Denver.

What do you think of this series so far? I'm pretty excited to see that Denver was able to take one from LA at home. I want to see them take these next two home games as well.

The one thing that makes me mad is the fact that they just barely lost Game 1. If they had won that as well then it would be a much different series going into game 3 and 4 with home court advantage.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am more interested in this series then the Magic and Cavaliers series. The Nuggets are my second favorite team in the NBA, and I really hope they win so they make into the finals.

The NBA, and most of the fans want to see a Kobe vs LeBron final, but I much rather see a Melo vs LeBron final. These two players have been linked together since high school. LeBron as been clearly the better player since they both entered the NBA in 2003. But Melo as really matured this season, he's become more unselfish and he's improved his defense.

Now back to the topic. This is now a best of five series. The Nuggets have played well both games, and in my opinion should be up 2-0 in this series. Game three in Denver should be a good one, and hopefully the Nuggets will be able to win that game and take a 2-1 series lead.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
George Karl is to blame for the Game 3 loss. They lost Game 1 because they couldn't inbound the ball from half court. So where do they take the ball after the timeout at the end of Game 3? At half court. What a moron. Couldn't get the ball in the first try, so they had to use a timeout. Second try, ball gets stolen. I would take the ball from the baseline every single time unless there's less than 8 seconds or so left in the game. Not only is it easier to get the ball in, but it's also easier to get a good shot if the defense is pressing full court.

Also, that big three that Kobe hit near the end, I don't know who the defender was, but PUT A FUCKING HAND UP! Jesus. Why even guard him if you're just going to let him shoot right over you? He might as well be wide open.

Denver should have won that game. Now Game 4 is a must-win.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I'm pretty happy with either team going but I've been a long long time Lakers fan so I would prefer to see them win.

The best part is that no matter what I'll have somebody to root for in the finals.

I really like this series, The Lakers and Nuggets are right on top of eachother, it makes me glad to see some real basketball playing.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with you echoes, Karl made a mistake yesterday and it cost them the game.

I think playoff experience is really showing for the Nuggets now, a lot of players aren't use to playing playoff basketball this far in the playoffs.

Hopefully the Nuggets will be able to win game four and tie the series up.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think they still have a chance if they can win game 4. The Lakers have played some pretty bad games so far during these playoffs so far too. I mean, look at the Rockets/Lakers series. That should have ended 2 games earlier but the Lakers slipped up badly.

Let's hope that happens again in game 4, 5, and 6. ;)
------
Ok, game 4 was definitely a good one. Denver won by 19 points at home.

Game 5 will be the kicker though if you ask me. It will be in LA and they are going to need to win it to take back home court advantage from the Lakers. If they don't win game 5 in LA then they will HAVE to win game 6 in Denver and then game 7 in LA. I don't see the Lakers giving up a home court game 7 very easily.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Lakers played horrible defense yesterday which is the main reason why they lost the game. It doesn't matter if you score 120 points in a game, if you let 121 you lose. I know that's pretty obvious but what I mean by this is that you have to play good defense first and for most, defense wins championships, not the other way around.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
The problem yesterday was the fact that Pau Gasol and Kobe were both not playing pretty much at all not sure why.

The Lakers had better step it up at home because they lost the chance at the advantage of winning on the road.

I want to see some real basketball none of this nonsense where one team destroys the other while missing their best player.

Denver has been playing dirty of late. I watched some highlight and I saw a player tripping Kobe, one grabbing Gasol's arm and putting it in a arm bar like hold, shoving and taunting. I suppose the last one shouldn't be considered "dirty", I just felt the urge to mention it.

Of course, I'm from LA, so I'm just overprotective of my boys. =P

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Denver has been playing dirty of late. I watched some highlight and I saw a player tripping Kobe, one grabbing Gasol's arm and putting it in a arm bar like hold, shoving and taunting. I suppose the last one shouldn't be considered "dirty", I just felt the urge to mention it.

Of course, I'm from LA, so I'm just overprotective of my boys. =P
I'm not trying to be biased but it may not have been a purposeful trip. Sure if you watch the replay it looks like an obvious trip, but watch the beginning part of this video. In normal speed, it looks like Jones just got off balance and accidentally tripped Kobe in the process. The third angle in the video below definitely looks like a trip, while the second is iffy. The realtime footage just looks like a tangle.

YouTube - Dahntay Jones Dirty Plays on Kobe

He didn't get a foul from the refs but the NBA offices actually stepped in after the fact and gave him a flagrant foul for the "trip". It's hard to say with certainty if it really was a trip. In slow motion it looks like it could have been but like I said if you watch the actual play it looks like he may have just been stepping backwards to regain balance.

It does LOOK more like a purposeful trip than an accident. I still think it was just an accident during an intense moment in the game. I don't think he could have had time to actually think to trip Kobe in the split second that it happened. Jones was interviewed about the trip and he apologized and said it wasn't on purpose.

Regardless, he did get a flagrant for it after the fact. I can live with the foul.

Last edited: