Kurt Angle

Kurt Angle Interview

“My body is so beat up and run down, I can’t even think straight,” Kurt Angle tells WWE.com in an exclusive interview Saturday concerning his early release from his contract with World Wrestling Entertainment. Angle and WWE officials mutually agreed to end Angle’s relationship with the company on Friday.

Angle says nearly 30 years of non-stop wrestling (between amateur wrestling, the Olympics and his WWE career) has taken a major toll on his body, his mind and his family. “I need my body to reheal and rehab, I have done this for too long without a break. I haven’t been able to really enjoy my life. I haven’t seen my family, I’ve had problems with medication - I’m just fried physically and mentally.”

Angle’s business manager David Hawk claims, “Kurt’s in a tremendous amount of pain, he’s used prescription medication to deal with it. Kurt has come to the conclusion that unless he can get in the ring without the use of pain medication then he doesn’t need to be in there. He realizes he was just endangering himself and his opponents.”

The last straw for Angle seems to have occurred on August 13th, 2006, at an ECW live event in White Plains, New York. Angle was wrestling Rob Van Dam in a match where both competitors were fueled by the passionate ECW fans. “The crowd was wild,” Angle says. “Early on in the match, I pulled my groin, but I kept going, feeding off the crowd. Then I pulled my abdominal muscle off the pelvic bone, but I kept going as the crowd grew more wild. Finally, I blew out my hamstring, but we finished the match. The crowd stood and applauded - a standing ovation and that meant so much to me.”

Ironically that would be Angle’s last match.

WWE.com asked Angle if he would ever return to competition in WWE. Angle says “I can’t tell you that right now, I need to heal up mentally and physically. Until then, I can’t even think about returning.”

But Angle says WWE Chairman Vince McMahon told him the door is always open. “Vince says when I’m ready, if I’m ever ready, to come back just sign on the dotted line. I’ll tell you if I do return I’m going back to my roots, training on the mat like my amateur days. Longevity is the key.”

Hawk seems confident Angle will be in the ring again someday.

Angle has a final message to his legion of WWE and ECW fans. “Don’t be concerned, this move was for the best. It was a privilege to be able to compete for all of you. I’d like to say thank you.”

Kurt Angle's Accomplishments

Amateur wrestling

* Pennsylvania State Wrestling Champion (1987)
* Clarion University Freshman of the Year (1988)
* 2-time NCAA Champion (1990, 1992)
* Espoir World Cup second Place (1989)
* Yasar Dogu Tournament second Place (1989)
* Canadian Cup Championship Winner (1990)
* World Championship Winner (1995)
* National Amateur Wrestling Hall of Fame (2001)
* Named "Greatest Shoot Wrestler Of All-Time" by USA Wrestling
* Inducted in the USA Wrestling Hall of Fame

Olympic Games

* 1996 Summer Olympic Games Gold medalist in freestyle wrestling, on Heavyweight class.

World Wrestling Federation / Entertainment

* 4-time WWF/E Champion
* 1-time WCW World Heavyweight Champion
* 1-time World Heavyweight Champion
* 1-time WWF Intercontinental Champion
* 1-time WCW United States Champion
* 1-time WWF European Champion
* 1-time WWE Tag Team Champion (with Chris Benoit)
* 1-time WWF Hardcore Champion
* 2000 King of the Ring

* Angle is the only wrestler to have won the WWF/E Championship, the WCW World Championship, and the World Heavyweight Championship.

Pro Wrestling Illustrated

* PWI Feud of the Year, versus Triple H (2000)
* PWI Most Hated Wrestler (2000)
* PWI Rookie of the Year (2000)
* PWI Most Inspirational Wrestler (2001)
* PWI Comeback of the Year (2003)
* PWI Feud of the Year, versus Brock Lesnar (2003)
* PWI Match of the Year, versus Brock Lesnar (2003)
* PWI Most Popular Wrestler (2003)
* PWI Wrestler of the Year (2003)
* PWI Match of the Year, versus Shawn Michaels (2005)
* PWI ranked him #1 in the 2001 PWI 500
* Angle holds the record for most PWI Achievement Awards in a single year (five in 2003)

Wrestling Observer Newsletter

* Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Famer (inducted in 2004)
* 2000 Most Improved Wrestler
* 2001 Most Outstanding Wrestler
* 2002 Wrestler of the Year
* 2002 Most Outstanding Wrestler
* 2002 Best Interviews
* 2002 Best Technical Wrestler
* 2002 Match of the Year (with Chris Benoit, versus Edge and Rey Mysterio)
* 2003 Most Outstanding Wrestler
* 2003 Feud of the Year (versus Brock Lesnar)

Kurt Angle is the best wrestler overall who ever lived. He is a favorite to many and I believe we have not seen the last of him but he is a true american hero. I am not sure if wrestling will be the same without him. He is a wrestling god, he is the best there is, the best there was, and the best there will ever be. He is the Icon, the Game, and the imortal one. I will never forget all the memorys Kust Angle has given us all. -Omega

Does anyone have anything else to say about Kurt Angle? What did he mean to you?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
He's one of the best Wrestlers to ever wrestle in the WWE. It's ashame that he had to leave the business like this, but I am more concern about is health, and he showed in the past that he could wrestle injured, but just couldn't take it anymore. He will be miss.

I would of love to see him wrestle against Bret Hart.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
He is one of the best..The best

Its a shame but he REALLY needs a break, he wrestles too much and deserves a break, he has won great games against champions

He has won heaps of Champioships and I am proud of him

Rock on KA

Kurt is so awsome, he is the MAN, he's a MANS MAN. I would love to see Angle vs. Taker, all the way through one more time. Because there has only been two matches that Taker and Angle has finished.

The first time it was July 2000 WWE Fuly Loaded, the deadman pined Angle. The second match where Angle and Taker finished WWE 2006 No Way Out, Angle slipped a pin on taker and got the 1-2-3.

The other two times did not finish. The first time someone had interfered was sept. 4, 2003 when former WWE superstar Brock Lesnar attacked both Angle and Taker with a steel chair so that was a no contest. The second was on SD March 3, 2006 when Mark Henry attacked Taker and splashed him through the announcers table, Taker won by DQ but the match wasn't finished. so basicly with going by 1-2-3, there needs to be a rubber match, Taker has a pin over the Angle, and Angle has a pin over the Deadman.

I would just love to see Angle VS. Taker one more time.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Undertaker versus Kurt Angle were good matches, but I think is best match of all time it's when he faced Shane McMahon at Kind of the Ring. If you havent seen this match I strongly suggest you download it, because it's just not Kurt Angle's best match but even maybe one of the greatest matches of all time. Other great opponents to mention are Shawn Michaels and Chris Benoit. Probably Chris Benoit being is hardest opponent he ever faced. Great matches when they fought.

The matches he had with Shawn micheals and Brock Lesnar were the best matches every!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
His Wrestlemania match with Brock Lesnar was insane and very dangerous. But Omega have you seen the match he was involve with Shane Mcmahon? If yes please comment if not then download it buddy, because if you liked the one between him and Brock Lesnar the I guarantee you you'll love that one ten times more.

the only reason i like shane is because he jumps off of really high things and hurts himself lol.that match was pretty good though.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That match was better then good it was amazing. Honestly Omega it takes a lot to impress you wrestling wise lol. But this goes towards every other members who reads this message don't listen too Omega listen to me lol. Download the match because it's one of the best matches you'll ever see.

S

shawnesty23

the match with shane was good, but it was far from his best matches b/c it wasnt a good wrestling matcha nd that is what angle does best.