Kovalchuk to be Traded

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by SqueakScolari, Feb 3, 2010.

1. SqueakScolari

SqueakScolari Registered Member

According to TSN and other networks, Atlanta GM Don Waddell told star forward Ilya Kovalchuk after practice today that he expects to have a trade done involving him within the next few days.

Who do you think he will end up with? Here are a list of teams I believe will be in the running:

Chicago - The Hawks certainly could use another big name up front to make them big time contenders. However, they have a sticky cap situation and would have to move a production player like Patrick Sharp to land him. Would trading picks, prospects and a good player be worth it for the Hawks at the end of the day? It's a good question.

New York Rangers - I think the Rangers will make a push for Kovalchuk. Any package going back to Atlanta would likely include Ryan Callahan or Matt Gilroy. Hard to say if they would have enough to land Kovalchuk (unless they went over the top and offered a Del Zotto).

Los Angeles - The Kings really would like to acquire Kovalchuk and they have the younger players to acquire him. However, Atlanta wants a NHL regular back in return as well as picks/prospects and I don't know if the Kings have anything to offer on that front. I think the Kings are more likely to get Ray Whitney.

Other teams I think are in the mix include Boston, Calgary, Washington, and maybe Pittsburgh. Should be an interesting few days.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I wish the Canadiens went after him but he stated that he didn't want to play in Canada.

The Blackhawks have a lot to offer, and one of those pieces is Seabrook or Barker. Personally I don't want him to go to Chicago because I can't stand him.

I believe the Kings are going to get him, they have a lot of young players to offer and I believe that he could get the best from L.A than any other team.

But with that being said, it's going to be weird seeing Kovalchuk in another uniform.

3. SqueakScolari

SqueakScolari Registered Member

Wow, did not see him getting traded to the Devils. Certainly will help New Jersey out big time, long time since NJ has had a bonafide goal scorer like Kovalchuk. Interesting to see how this works out since the Devils are a pure defensive hockey club and 'defense' is not in Kovalchuk's vocabulary.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

They have Parise who scored over forty goals last season, but I understand what your trying to say. It should be interesting to see how he plays in New Jersey, especially defensively. I wish he went in the Western Conference instead. New Jersey are now favorite to win the Stanley Cup in my opinion.

5. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Wow what a crazy trade. Its a good pick up for New Jersey.

This automatically makes them a serious title contender.